Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW!! a $2,385.00 Vacuum

WOW!! a $2,385.00 Vacuum

Just got an e-mail from Oneida - they have released a "Gorilla Vac." Not a misprint - price as listed above. It's on their website as well.

Nice, but I'll save my pennies for a Festool Dust Extractor!

I looked on Oneida's website and could not find anything remotely similar to the Festool vacuum cleaner. Have I missed something here?

I talked to Oneida several days ago about it. It looked like the perfect solution until they told me the price. From what i got out of them it is meant more for like professional hardwood installers and things like that not the avg woodworking shop. I would think in time they could make a cheaper version that would be affordable for the home woodworking shops. Its a great idea just too expensive.

I found it in on a different page from where I looked before. I can't see many people buying that piece for that much money, regardless of the application.

Let's see, I can buy 4 festool 33's for that same price.. All 4 together would probably weigh less than the oneida.
    I can't see any floor installer getting one of these. Who would want to haul a 100 pound dust collector out of their van every day and pay more for the pleasure?

I got the same email and thought they must have misplaced a decimal point. I went to the website and no, the price really IS $2385 - shipping and handling not included! I recently bought the 3HP dust gorilla from them and paid almost a thousand less for that!
    Remember, in the next world you're on your own!

Is that the prototype?

It looks home made.

Like someone bolted a shopvac to a cut-down steel drum. It even has an exposed home electrical box externally mounted on it.

It may work like the dickens, but looks like it was made with off the shelf parts from my nutty neighbor, maybe with his son for the high school science fair.

Doesn't look like something one would use in a home shop or even a professional shop. Looks like something one would use on a job site in a private residence or commercial property.

Obviously this tool is aimed at a very specific market. If it saves prep/cleanup time and makes the job easier, it probably wouldn't take long to realize a return on investment.

Looks like they cobbled together their $180 Dust Deputy and a shop vac. It does include 25' of hose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Ed Brady
    Colorado Springs

"If You're Lucky Enough to Live in the Mountains, You're Lucky Enough"

The funny thing is that they sell the "dust deputy"--just the cyclone and barrel part of the setup--for $175. That plus your existing shop vac should achieve the same thing they're asking $2400 for. It looks like the new tool is powerful--it claims to have dual vacuum motors, whatever that means. Still, I don't see how anyone could justify spending that much money on a shop vac.

This is a great idea but way too expensive. This is my version which I thought was expensive.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...8&d=1192490891

That does seem like a huge amount of money. If it works as described it could be worthwhile for flooring pros though. The sanders and stuff they carry are already pretty heavy so it will mean another trip. In the long run they might if they are doing the right thing dustwise they may save money on filters and such.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Don't forget, they used "Industrial" in the name of the thing... LOL

I have absolutely no doubt that the machine is everything they represent it to be and it's probably the bee's knees for the right application. But it's certainly not for me, even as a long-term Oneida fan.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim, it's not for me even though I have an Oneida cyclone.

The vacuum listed has one outstanding characteristic, it's weatherproof.

That's a great advantage to people who work in clean environments, and need a vacuum for drilling/grinding/sawing or remediation work, some of which may be in wet or damp areas, or work where even a HEPA vacuum must be located outdoors with the work indoors.

At work, we have several Nilfisk vacuums, most are HEPA some are ULPA, and they are in the price range of the new Oneida vacuum.

Many vacuums are required to be able in operate in areas that require low noise levels, no electrostatic discharge, and very low EMI emmisions.

Not something you need at home, however certainly something that is required in many applications.

Regards, Rod.

I saw the email and thought "Wow I bet this thing would be great" So I click on the pic and go to the website and I was Dumb founded when I saw the price.

Not sure Professional or not if that will fly