Thread: Powermatic PWBS-14CS ($899) or Rikon 10-325 ($750)

Powermatic PWBS-14CS ($899) or Rikon 10-325 ($750)

Powermatice PWBS-14CS with free riser block and mobile base: $899
    Rikon 10-325 no riser block required no mobile base: $750

Is the Powermatic that much better?

I considered the Grizzly 17" but, to put it simply, don't have the flexibility to rewire for it in my current shop.

So, is the Powermatic worth it?

In the spirit of upselling everyone, if those are in your sights and you can save a couple hundred, the Jet 18" saw goes on sale from time to time and if you can get it locally, maybe you can get out of freight.

I got a Jet JWBS-18X locally for $1059 before Christmas and paid tax, but no freight.

It's more saw (bigger table, heavier, large 1 3/8 inch carter style guides, ...) than both of those saws and comes with a 1.75hp 110v motor (I'm in the same wiring situation as you).

Out of those two, I would think it's a toss-up.

I wouldn't give up on the Grizzly 17. The motor is 220/110 and comes pre-wired 220. However, you only have to switch some wires on the saw, not rewire your shop. I'm far from an electrician, but I've done it twice. There's usually a diagram on the wire cover. I would call Grizzly and ask the question. I've seen the other two saws and I think you won't go wrong with any of them. But the extra swing on the 17" sure comes in handy.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Personally I would take the Powermatic. That is one high quality 14 inch saw. I am saying this as someone who owns a 16 inch Laguna. One thing people (myself included) don't realize is that the bigger saws typically have a lower to the ground table, which after living with one, find it annoying at times. The bigger saws are great for resawing but is that what your primary use will be? You still get the resaw ability for a hobby worker with the PM and also a nice high table for the finer curvy work you will likely do.

My 2 cents,
    Tim

John,

I looked at the manual for the Grizzly 17", and it recommends installling a Nema-style plug, which would require wiring a new receptacle. It also seems to require a higher-capacity circuit than the others.

How concerned do I need to be about matching their recommmendations?

Thanks.

If you were to run the grizzly 17" at 110 you would need a 20amp circuit for that. You should check which circuit you want to put it on and go check your breaker box to see if it is 20. Even if it is, you would be best off for it to have its own circuit. That could be easy and short or more time consuming depending on your wiring arrangement in your house. If it isn't 20, you would also need to run another circuit. Don't replace the 15 or whatever is in there with a 20, because you could run into serious problems with over rating the wiring if you do that.

I would suggest you don't let the wiring get in the way of what tool you want. You can get larger tools and do the wiring now, but you will only kick yourself later if you buy smaller tools than you wanted because you limited yourself on wiring.

Plus, a nice subpanel exclusively for your shop tools is a must have in my opinion. You can safely control your tools, their usage, and which circuits they are running on.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Since I don't anyone putting in a word for the Rikon.

I bought a Grizzley G0550, before I started to work part time at Woodcraft. Since then, I have used the powermatic, the Jet, and the Rikon.

My opinion:

1.The Powermatic is overpriced even with a free riser block.

2. When you add the price of the riser block, the jet is a lot more than the Rikon

3. The Rikon "Deluxe" 14" (The one priced in this thread) will resaw 13" as it comes.

I believe that there is a March Madness sale that will include Power tools (Monitor delete this line, if it breaks the TOS.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Rikon

I like my Rikon but have no other saw to compare it too. When I bought mine I searched the Creek and found my lengthy post about it.

BV

Alex,

Thanks for the insight. I think you are right in principle. Hate to be a whiner, but I've got 2 problems with the subpanel solution:

1) my garage (er, "shop," Steve) is on the exact opposite end of my house from my breaker panel

2) I plan on moving in the next year (-ish)

I think my options are falling toward either following Bruce's advice--waiting on the Woodcraft sale--or by buying Joel's (TFWW) Bowsaw to tie me over until I can upgrade my shop.