Thread: Sparks on Grizzly Cyclone

Sparks on Grizzly Cyclone

I'm in the process of running the plumbing for my new G0440 2hp Grizzly cyclone. Earlier this evening I got the table saw hooked up, blocked off the runs yet to be connected and fired it up for a test run. First, I must say it is way cool...a few test cuts and no dust in my face. This is going to be really cool.

Anyhow, I saw something odd while it was running and I'm curious what you guys think. As the cylone was running, I heard this tick noise every few seconds. It was odd...almost like the noise a gas stove top makes when it is clicking to ignite the gas on the burner when you turn it on. Then, I happened to look at the cyclone and I noticed a spark firing between the can under the cyclone and the flex pipe running up to the bottom of the cyclone. It appears that there is a spark jumping between the can under the cyclone and an exposed metal rib from the flex pipe (it's the part of the metal rib where the pipe was cut). When the cyclone is running, it fires every 5 seconds or so. I know there are some concerns about plastic pipe and a cyclone, but I am running all metal except for the flex running between the can and the cyclone and from the cyclone to the filter.

Anyone else ever see something like this? Other than trimming back this exposed metal rib from the flex, any thoughts on what to do about it?

Thanks,
    Tim

cyclones make a lot of static in the flex hose. you can ground the hose to the cyclone and it will take care of it. myself I have not bothered. the clearview really can make static sawdust will stick to the sides of it after it is off.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

WWBPD???

What
    Would
    Bill
    Pentz
    Do
    ?
    ?
    ?

I'd ground it. I have an Oneida and have never noticed that problem. I generally let mine run for long periods of time so if there was going to be a static build up it would have shown up.

Just expose a little of the wire in the flex and connect it to the cone and have it in contact with the metal rim of the barrel top connection. That should take care of the issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Same Cyclone - No Problem

Tim,I have that same model, am in the same stage as you (getting all the duct runs finalized) so have not used it extensively but have certainly run the DC on numerous occasions over the last month and have not seen any sparks. Kinda got me worried now...will have to pay close attention to that...Barry

Tim, the static is discharging to the closest available ground, which happens to be your barrel.

Strip a little bit of the hose back on the cyclone end, to expose the wire. Bond the wire to the cyclone body with a metal hose clamp.

Since your cyclone is grounded via the power supply ground, you won't have any more problems.....Rod.

Thanks for the tips...was the first time I ran it, so it was a little freaky. Knew there would be static, but that regular interval sort of wierded me out. Anyhow, I'll connect the flex metal rib to the cyclone and will report back what happens.

Tim