Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmm... Alternate Chisel edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    Yikes! Until you remember that , = . in Europe... shish. Made me spill my drink Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Yikes! Until you remember that , = . in Europe... shish. Made me spill my drink Eddie!
    Thanks for the explanation, Steve. I've been trying for two days to imagine a $375K set of chisels!

Better edge and easier to sharpen

I've replaced all of my chisels with chisels made from CPM 3V and replaced the plane irons in the bench planes with irons made of CPM 3V and M4 tool steel. In my hands the tools are easier to sharpen and hold an edge longer than the chisels and plane irons being sold by LN, LV and the Japanese chisels that many use.

Tool steel is much easier to grind without risk of taking the temper out of the tools. You can easily grind to a wire edge on the grinder. Follow the grinder with fixed diamond stone to make sure edge is straight then polish with 1 micron diamond on cast iron and the tool is sharp and ready for use.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Smith View Post
    I've replaced all of my chisels with chisels made from CPM 3V and replaced the plane irons in the bench planes with irons made of CPM 3V and M4 tool steel. In my hands the tools are easier to sharpen and hold an edge longer than the chisels and plane irons being sold by LN, LV and the Japanese chisels that many use.

Tool steel is much easier to grind without risk of taking the temper out of the tools. You can easily grind to a wire edge on the grinder. Follow the grinder with fixed diamond stone to make sure edge is straight then polish with 1 micron diamond on cast iron and the tool is sharp and ready for use.
    Phil - Where did you find those chisels and plane blades made from high speed tool steel?

You're certainly correct that a grinder will not affect the temper on those.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Phil - Where did you find those chisels and plane blades made from high speed tool steel?

You're certainly correct that a grinder will not affect the temper on those.

Mike
    The chisels I made from scratch. A couple of years ago there was a discussion on Woodcentral on whether or not you could put a good edge on tool steel. Bill Tindall and I ordered CPM 3V from Crucible Steel and made a set of chisels using ordinary hand tools ( hacksaw, file, grinder, sander, etc). Shipped the tools off for hardening and then put on handles. We have very good set of chisels. Only downside is that you need to use diamond to hone. But once you learn that trick they are actually easy to maintain and hold an edge very well.

Bruce Norton and I made a set of plane irons a couple of years ago to complete the tooling.

Traditional Woodworker sell Kunz (yes, Kunz) replacement plane blades made of HSS. The blades are expensive and I have no idea how good they are. Craftsman Studios sells Academy Saws replacement plane blades that are HSS. I have seen, infrequently, some Japanese branded plane blades of HSS on the auction site. It seems to me, anything that you could or would use to make a plane blade would also serve well for a chisel and vise versa. Here is the linke to Traditional Woodworker, Craftsman Studio, and a treatise on the sharpenability and durability of various plane blades.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...oducts_id/2998

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/C!010.htm

http://bladetest.infillplane.com/htm...f_results.html