Thread: MM16 vs. ???

MM16 vs. ???

So as not to hijack the thread below on the "MM16 Mods", I thought I would start a new thread on a much discussed, but never agreed upon, subject. Since for virtually all of us, the 24/7 capability of the MM16 (as cited in the referenced thread) is way beyond overkill and since it also allegedly comes without all the desired bells and whistles, I ask this question? What bandsaw does come with all the bells and whistles, but perhaps with a little less industrial capacity, though still enough for the demanding hobbiest? I am asking this partly out of ignorance/lack of experience with a big bandsaw, but also out of a desire to make a smart purchasing decision coming up soon. I am at the point in life that I will likely rarely test the limits of a bandsaw's ability, but don't want to screw up just to save a few hundred bucks. With all the bandsaw threads out there it may be that a referral to a previous thread is the beat answer. Thanks to all.

There is no equal. The MM16 is the only bandsaw you should buy. Ever. Just go out and buy it. Don't think any more about it. Look up Sam Blasco's name in the member directory and email him, PM him, and post for him. Look in the phone book and call him at home and write him a letter. He is your best friend. And soon, your new MM16 will be your best friend too.

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Take a look at the Griz G0636

Sorry Mark. I am aware there are a lot of very satisfied MM owners/users out there in bandsaw-land. But among the crop of Italian made bandsaws, there are a lot of very fine machines making piles of sawdust. I have heard/read all the testimonials from owners of XYZ, as well as the bashers of many brands.
    It sounds like you are happy with your choice. I am too.
    As for what saw I own; I started out with an el-cheapo 3-wheel benchtop, to a 14" Delta, to my current Laguna LT18. If a UFO crashes into my shop today, I would get another one, without hesitation.
    Now lets go make something. Watch those fingers.

Dick, the MM16, Laguna 16HD, Agazzani 16", etc., are all of the same ilk and similar in cost. All are awesome saws with industrial strength.

You can, however, get a very nice band saw with similar physical capacities from vendors like Grizzly that might fit your requirements. The G0513X and a couple other models come to mind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

None, except for maybe a Northfield. I have a MM20, it works, works all the time, and does what I ask. I had bells and whistles on my 14" to make up for discrepencies in the basic saw. I would much rather have a very solid, heavy, machine that works.

The Grizzly Ultimate 17" is worth a look, although it's not that much less than the Italian high end units. If I was closer to the PA showroom I would have taken a closer look. The column looks very beefy, the table is quite big with a nice bar to position it very solidly.

If you look at it, check and see if the guide positioning mechanism is solid and capable of dialing in the alignment. That is an area where MM really shines. Look at bearing sizes on the wheels. Brake mechanism. Clearance for changing blades.

If you wanted to stay in the Minimax family, the S45 looks like a killer BS! I did a lot of research on that model prior to my purchase of the mm16.

I would have been very happy with the s45 had i went that way. the S45 has more refined features, but a few things are missing on it compared to the 16, such as the foot brake. I love that feature.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Dick,
    I currently have a MM24, had a Agazzani B-24 and before that a Jet 14"....all were good saws and did what I asked of them at the time. There are a lot of very good Italian made bandsaws (Centauro, ACM, Meber.....), plenty of good Taiwanese type and then there are good ole USA made saws like Northfield, Yates, Tannewitz, etc..... It all comes down to what you want to do with your saw. If you want to get into resawing, veneering or cutting big bowl blanks then get a big saw. If all you need is simple ripping, some curve cutting and a once in the "blue moon" resaw then a less expensive saw like a 14" will do.

Cannot comment on the MM. Never used one althought I here they are very good machines. Currently own a 14" Jet with riser block and a 24" Grizzly (G0568). The Grizzly is equipped with a carbide blade and slices throught wood of just about any size faster and more accurately than I ever dreamed. Both saws when set up correctly resaw perfectly straight without using a pivot point fence. Currently use the Jet for cutting curves.

Grizzley 513x, and 514x2. Or 636 for more $ but beefier.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dick--

I will second the vote for the S45N bandsaw from MM. I went through a search a couple of years ago and really wanted something more than a 16" machine, but couldn't get a 20"+ bigboy down into my basement shop. The S45N is a tried and true machine. It actually has a better fit and finish than the MM line (and this was mentioned by the MM salesman). In my opinion, it's a great saw for a furniture maker. If you want a monster bandsaw to resaw logs, etc., then look at one of the larger MM saws (or any of the other similar brands). If you are looking for a quality saw for building furniture, I think the S45N is worth a serious look.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Adams; 02-01-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

MM16 is the One

I've had mine for about 2 years. The machine is a delight. A pleasure to resaw with. It is also my preferred method of ripping long stock (vs. the table saw). You will likely need a 220 line. This is a great machine. You will not be disappointed.