Thread: Suggestions for Display case for KLM Houses

Suggestions for Display case for KLM Houses

Over the years of my many travels overseas I have collected a significant collection of the small porcelan dutch houses given out by KLM airlines when you fly business class. My daughter always cherished these as her houses and I would now like to build a display case for all of these. I have 65 of the numbered series of 88 that have been given out by KLM. I have attached a picture of one of these. I would like any ideas on the type of case I could build for storing these. My original thoughs would be for one like you see people keeping golf balls but I am not sure that is the best. Any ideas and or your projects photos of similar cases would be appreciated. I can build but am not that creative! I have attached a couple of pictures of one of the houses. They usually measure no more than 2" W X 3" H X 3" D. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (100.4 KB, 9 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (97.1 KB, 6 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (97.4 KB, 5 views)

Given that these are a series, the type of display you mention may make sense since you can set it up with numbered positions. Do you intend to try and find/buy the missing ones for the collection? That will affect your design if you need to leave space for them.

One other decision will be glass-front or not...breakable items may warrant such a barrier to keep them from being knocked down as well as keep them cleaner. Dusting a gazillion tchachkas is never a fun job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

my idea is a little small for your request, but I found some old windows from an 'antique' store ( $6 each ) and used them in my basement. Behind one of the windows I build a stand to match the mullions and stored some of my 'collectible' stuff. The window protects it and fits the decor.

Here's a display case I built for a collection of little Russian lacquer boxes. The boxes are about the size of your ceramic houses. The case stands in a passageway, and is only 9" deep. It is about 35" high and six feet long. There's display space in the upper section, and storage space in the bottom section, so the homeowners can rotate the pieces on display. The top is hinged at the rear. An adult can easily pull out a piece to admire more closely, but the lid keeps dust and other fingers out. The case is mostly built from mahogany, and the upper section is lined with curly maple. The door panels are bookmatched bandsawn veneer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't say how old your daughter is. Does she play with them? Or is this strictly for display?

one "off the wall" option would be a glass topped table, with the houses under the glass. You could then even paint/arrange a countryside for the houses to be placed upon. Then at different times you could rearrange things.

Jim has a very good point about completing the set and leaving room for growth.

I hate dusting. hate hate hate. so if it is to be a wall cabinet, then I definitely would put a glass door in front to keep the dust out.

Here's another extra crazy idea. Buy yourself a model train -- I would guess HO scale would work with houses like that size? -- but try to buy cars that match the style of the houses. You only show one house, are they all Dutch/European style? Then build your daughter a landscape and arrange the houses and the train to wind amongst your "village". This would work best if the houses were all of a certain style. If the style is from all over the world, then maybe not.
    "It's Not About You."