Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a Plastic Resin Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Berguson View Post
    I bought some of the DAP plastic resin stuff but haven't tried it yet. Nobody ever said so I'm wondering, Is there any length of shelf life for mixed glue or do you mix just what you think you'll need and everything mixed and unused is wasted?

Bryan
    YES!

Bryan there is a very short life after you mix it......Like a few hours until it hardens. So you mix what you need and a little extra so you don't get into trouble by running out.

As has been said, they say the unmixed powder has a life of about 12 months.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

Does the PRG off-gas formaldehyde like FEMA trailers?

Might last longer if you transfer it to glass containers. Plastic technically does not prevent air/water vapor from leaking through, albeit VERY slowly! That's why you see the better brands of brake fluid, etc., still supplied in metal cans (or it could all be marketing!).
    Last edited by Russ Filtz; 01-31-2008 at 7:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
    YES!

Bryan there is a very short life after you mix it......Like a few hours until it hardens. So you mix what you need and a little extra so you don't get into trouble by running out.

As has been said, they say the unmixed powder has a life of about 12 months.

Thanks John. From Glen's post I thought the mixed glue was good for 12 months.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Berguson View Post
    Thanks John. From Glen's post I thought the mixed glue was good for 12 months.

Bryan
    Sorry for the confusion. I should have clarified that the shelf life to which I was referring is the shelf life of the powder in its container. I had read a post recently from someone who bought DAP's product, and upon mixing it for the first time, realized that it would not set - at all. The reason? Old product.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I recently had a chance to use the DAP plastic resin glue. It worked great despite being at least 2 years old. I found that using a paint mixer that you chuck in your drill worked really well and that it helped to add the water painfully slow while mixing. I then used a cheap strainer that I bought at the grocery store to pour the resin into a funnel into an empty glue bottle. This helped speed application and then I just came back with a veneer glue roller or paint roller to spread it evenly.
    As a first time user, I really liked the glue. It dries rock hard so wipe off any excess with a wet rag immediately - it is so hard once dry that it is difficult to scrape or sand.

6. There are a couple things about using DAP Weldwood...one when you mix it, add the product to the water, not the water to the product that way you limit the formation of lumps when mixing....also, what I've found is I like to add a touch more water than what it calls for on the label...for a small batch I start with 5 tablespoons of Weldwood and 2 tablespoons of water....add the Weldwood to the water, mix it up, and look at the consistency...typically I end up adding about another 1/3 tablespoon to that and mix it again.....I typically only mix what I can apply/assemble in a 5 to 10 minute time frame....even though the label says it has a longer open time than that at 70 degree F, I've found that for the veneer and bent lamination work I do that 10 minutes is the outside most that it will stay fluid enough to make the slight adjustments and get clamp pressure/check alignment before it starts to tack up enough to make things more difficult.... it can be slightly more difficult to scrape than a PVA glue however with a properly sharpened cabinet scraper I haven't had any problem.....I haven't had any trouble with sanding it ....remember a little bit of glue goes a long way...for veneers I only cover the substrate...for bent laminations I'll cover both surfaces.....you don't want a dripping gluey mess...

I use the little plastic scoops that come with baby formula containers. They are perfect for mixing the water and powder perfectly. This product has worked great for me so far.