Thread: Using wood filler with multiple woods

Using wood filler with multiple woods

I'm just finishing a bed for my grandson. I turned the bedposts from glue-ups of alternating pieces of ash and wenge. (Each post is comprised of eight pieces of each wood, each piece having a 1/2" square cross-section.) After turning the posts, I wanted to use a wood filler with the wenge, as it has quite an open grain. I was afraid, however, that a colored filler would discolor the adjacent ash. Considering that ash has a much tighter grain, it's possible that I could have removed any colored filler that migrated to the ash with only a light sanding. I don't know. Is there a transparent filler I could have used? Any other solutions?

I'm now editing my original post. I'm a little embarassed to report that I had forgotten I had a transparant wood filler, namely Enduro water-based transparent wood grain filler. It was developed by a company in California called Compliant Spray Systems. I see they are now part of General Finishes. The plastic container I have has been opened (I taped it after closing, to keep it from drying out), and I only vaguely remember using it. (Not a sign of senility; I've always had a poor memory.) I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm still interested in opinions on how to best deal with the problem I've described.

Cary
    Last edited by Cary Swoveland; 01-31-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Just found what I needed...

Cary,

Another approach that can be taken is to use shellac as the filler. It is a repetitive process of applying, the shellac, sanding it down, applying it again, sanding it down, etc. Eventually you fill the pores. Flexner and Dresdner have mentioned it also I believe.