Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to... Kitchen hood vent project

How to... Kitchen hood vent project

Below are a few pictures of a hood vent that I'd like to replicate for my kitchen project. I have dimensions for the hood vent insert that I'd like to use. However, I'm finding it a bit daunting to finalize my design. Looking for any tips you can provide me from those who may have designed / build something similar before. Some of my questions / concerns:

Products that I'm working around are the Wolf R366 36" gas range (all gas burners, no griddle or grill), and the Viking 42" VBCV vent hood insert.

1) How are the "solid looking" sides build / attached to the rest of the unit & adjoining cabinets. Would you make these sides from solid dimensional lumber... perhaps a box of plywood surfaced with the solid lumber? In my kitchen design I have a corner cabinet, a wall / upper cabinet, then this hood vent. Both the corner cabinet and hood vent have to be placed exactly, leaving the wall cabinet the only item with room for changes in dimension / scribing. I'm thinking of making the outside of this vent hood side notched so I could back the vent hood side up to the front of the adjoining face frame instead of scribing the side of the face frame to the side of the vent hood. Any suggestinons here?
    2)Installation. What is the order of installation? Install hood first, then ducting 2nd, or just the opposide order? Perhaps a sequenced order of rough framing first (a simple 2x4 box to support the weight), followed by the adjoining wall cabinet, one side of vent hood, the vent hood insert itself (attach vent hood to the wall, and to the one side), the front panels of the hood, the other side of the hood, then the "front shelf" of the hood. Any suggestions?
    3) Any comments regarding clearances / lessons learned regarding vent hoods? Clearances From Viking / Wolf state a minimum of 30" from top of counter to bottom of hood, 18" from adjoining counter top to bottom of adjoining cabinets (in this case it must mean the bottom of the solid wood sides of the vent hood), and a maximum adjoining wall cabinet depth of 13". What clearances have you used before. I understand this may be more of a local code issue, but any input will be helpful.
    4) I would have loved to install deeper side cabinets than the standard 12". However, with the 13" max depth mentioned above, if I am restricted to keeping the sides of the vent hood to 13", in order to set back the fronts of the side cabinets from the front of the vent hood side, this would force me back to only 12" depth side cabinets.

Thanks in advance for you comments & suggestions.
    Jim

Hmmmmmmmmm don't know how to fix the little red X in the box. (no pic here)

Sorry... pictures did not post. I'll try them as attachments below:

HoodVent1.jpg

HoodVent2.jpg

Is there a reason you are looking at a wider hood than the stove top?

Just make sure you like the look of that - the unit in the picture looks to be a matching size for the stovetop. But the stovetop looks overpowered by the hood. It may look fine -- but some of the hoods can get large. Most of the custom hood I have seen are just built up of plywood and trim -- they attach to the wall/ceiling just like any other. The hoods/inserts attach to the wall - some of the larger units also require support from above - like a threaded rod.

I have a 48 inch wide DCS unit with a matching 48 inch hood (not an insert) so I had to mount it to the ceiling with rods and also to the wall. The DCS insert mounts the same way -- The viking was the same layout. They are very heavy!

The vent size is very important -- it must be large enough-- also very important to size the roof or wall outlet correctly. You need to count the 45 and 90 or you will loose CFM and increase noise. You need to have the vent in place -- then you just add a transition from the unit. If it is an outside wall you are in luck.

One thing I would do differently is to install the motor at the roof outlet - to decrease the noise - this may not be any help if the unit is on an outside wall - mine is not. I also have a grill and a griddle -- the grill really increases the CFM needed - so the noise is a thing to worry about.

One note - The 42 inch hood insert would be designed to handle more than just 6 burners of a 36 inch stove top -- so you are getting a hood that may be overkill and may produce more noise that you may like.

Follow the clearances to the letter.

My sister has a wolf five burner with the pop up rear downdraft system -- it works great and is out of the way. The big hoods are not all they are cracked up to be -- except BIG.

Thanks for your reply Tom,

Below is a Sketchup image of the kitchen I'm designing. It will show the proportions we're talking about. I agree with you, the stovetop in the image is very over powered by the hood, let alone a 42 inch over that stovetop.

I've worked with the local appliance store and have sized the cfm. They called for 900cfm. Duct run has one 90 bend, then a 20 foot straight run to the exterior wall. Home designer is making sure there is duct space in the joists above the kitchen for this run. Would have liked an external fan, but placement of it on the exterior wall would have been bad. Unfortunately, I don't think that Viking offers a 900cfm internal fan with their 42 inch hood. That may force me to the 36 inch hood. All of the above I'm going to discuss with Viking (hood mfr.) directly.

Given the size of the kitchen, we like the look of the 42, plus, I've heard that a wider hood will provide better venting with all other variables held the same. (Again, I'm going to verify this with the mfr.)

So, this post's question is more about construction than hood size / selection. If it is a 36" hood, then the construction will be the same, only smaller.

Home / kitchen scheduled to be done July 2009. Kitchen will be a big job, but should have pleanty of time to complete it.

KitchenHighView.jpg

Another picture showing a 36" range with 42" hood. This is where we got the idea of this combination. Wife simply liked the style of the hood in the above picture better.

HoodStovePic.jpg

I second Tom's concern with the hood noise. When we built I listened to a lot of fans and thought anything capable of reasonable CFM was far too noisy. We ended up using a remote in-line axial fan. I believe it was made by continental (http://www.continentalfan.com/axcrange.htm). The fan speed is adjustable and we normally use it on the lowest setting.

We had the range hood insert custom made and as I recall it was a similar price to the commercial versions but much quieter.

Greg

Here's my 2 bits worth. (2¢ after inflatiion )
    When we decided to remodel some in our kitchen we had a custom hood that was going out. (coppertone).
    My wife does some china painting on tiles and this was what she wanted.
    I built this hood from plywood and lined underside with plastic laminate .
    The same exaust pipe was used so; just purchased new blower with aluminum filters and light.
    It is louder than we would like.
    Hope this is of some use to you.
    I sat on the floor to shoot the pic.
    KitHood.jpg
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

36" Vent Hood

Well, looks like too many are saying the 42" hood would be inferior to the 36" in my application. Viking reiterated the same thing you and other's have said. (Contrary to earlier internet searching I did on this subject by the way.) I'll now be going with the 36" hood. I looked at the continental fan information, and that does look very promising. Will contact them tomorrow when their office opens up & ask some questions.

Back to the meat of the post. I'd love any input as to the actual (wood) construction of the hood vent. Most of my concerns were listed above.

Thank you in advance.
    Jim

One other thing - use the biggest vent pipe you can. The larger the pipe the lower the air velocity and the quieter the fan will be. Much of the noise comes froms the air rushing through the pipes.

Greg

I have installed many of these and the best thing you can do is cut a hole in the wall behind (if possible) to make the duct connections possible. If not the insert will have to be installed after the hood and the ducts must be just right so they can slide together. Usually the guts of the hood come out so you can guide the ducts together from the inside.

I think the 30" nuber is to any combustible materials above the cooktop and within 6" of the sides of the cooktop as well (need 48" for 36" hood)

I think most hoods are about 26" deep and set with the bottoms about 30 above the cooktop. Be sure to remember that the range top is usually about an inch or so above the counter height.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

As I said above -- The wood parts of the hood would be constructed - like any other surround would be made. Look at how a mantel is made it ends up being the same thing.

You can always add a few blocks to attach to the wall and ceiling -- the sides are attached to the wall cabinets.

My trim, fridge and stove built-in were all constructed with the same figured maple plywood that all the rest of the kitchen used.

Wink

JIM,
    I really don't mean to be critical in the negative sense, but I have to agree with the "overpowering" remarks.
    The workmanship is wonderful, and that shelf and support molding would make a hell of a nice mantle, as well.
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

Tom seems to have a good handle on how to make and install the wood part of the hood. I've never done this, but it seems like it is just another piece of upper cabinet. The design and shape need to compliment the rest of the cabinetry, but it just holds the guts of the hood instead of glasses and plates. Sounds like you are a lot like me...trying to make it harder than it really is. The hardest part I see is making the angle cuts for the slope of the sides...the same on both sides!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, good look to the hood, but can I add a huge caution to be considered in any hood design? GREASE.

The hood is intended to suck the airflow up thus grease-laden air. However, no matter how strong your fan, the size and distance from source allow a ton of oil/grease spatter to accumulate near the stove. If you put little nooks and crannies, and worst of all square dentil crenelations, they will just rapidly cake up with grease and dust, and be uncleanable.

I recommend that all your profiles be SMOOTH so that they can be easily wiped and cleaned--no carving or indentations or corners down low. Trust me, a dust and grease caked hood loses it's intricate beauty quickly!

Good luck!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028