Thread: Cutting to the left of a left tilt?

Cutting to the left of a left tilt?

I have a left tilt jet and have my extension rails to the right side. There are 16" of rail to the left of the blade. I don't know if there may be a time when I need the fence on the left of the blade and i would like to move the rail down to the right to extend the right side capacity.

When would I need the fence on the left side and is this a good idea or a bad one?

I'm not sure if I visualize what you're describing but I have always read to avoid making cuts with the blade tilted in towards the fence as it is a dangerous cut. I've seen it done and seen it in a lot of woodworking magazines so people do use it, but if this is what you're describing be careful.

I have a left tilt PM 64A with a 30" fence (30" to the right of the blade). I found that I ocassionally needed anywhere from 32" to 36". I moved my rails 6" to the right which left me 6" to the left of the blade. This has served me well.

George
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Yerardi View Post
    I'm not sure if I visualize what you're describing but I have always read to avoid making cuts with the blade tilted in towards the fence as it is a dangerous cut. I've seen it done and seen it in a lot of woodworking magazines so people do use it, but if this is what you're describing be careful.
    Hi Sam;
    To explain a little better. I do all of my cuts to the right and have not found an instance where I need to cut on the left yet I have about 15" of cutting capacity on the left side of the blade and want to know if i would ever use it or if I could move the rail to the right and increase the cutting capacity on the right side.
    Hope this clears it up better.

Sounds like you shouldn't have a problem

I'm hoping for a few more replies. There must be some reason you need the fence to be placed on the left side of the blade on a left tilt saw?

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    I'm hoping for a few more replies. There must be some reason you need the fence to be placed on the left side of the blade on a left tilt saw?
    I have not yet used the fence on the left of the blade.

George
    2B1ASK1

Another need for it

It just came to my mind that I once saw Norm using his dado blade to remove material on a 2x4 to make a lap joint (I think it was his classic workbench episode). He used the fence as a "stop block" , so all the laps would be of the same width (he started removing material from the end and stopped when the board hit the fence). If your board is too long, you are probably better off using the longest right wing as a support for it and the fence on the left of the blade as your stop.

it may not be as much a need for the fence on the left side, as much as the need for the rails to be across the entire TS top so it can bolt up correctly.

I moved the tube down one set of screws on my rail, and can theoretically get more right side cut from my Beis ... but it messes with the onboard tape measure ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    it may not be as much a need for the fence on the left side, as much as the need for the rails to be across the entire TS top so it can bolt up correctly.

I moved the tube down one set of screws on my rail, and can theoretically get more right side cut from my Beis ... but it messes with the onboard tape measure ...
    I noticed that but I don't use rail tape as mine is not accurate. The further out I go the more off it is with my stanley tape. Seeing I have to measure everything the same I just go with the pocket tape.

I have a left tilt jet and have my extension rails to the right side. There are 16" of rail to the left of the blade. I don't know if there may be a time when I need the fence on the left of the blade and i would like to move the rail down to the right to extend the right side capacity.

When would I need the fence on the left side and is this a good idea or a bad one?
    Keith. I have a left tilt General 50-220 Tablesaw. I have no rails,and no extension wing to the left of the blade. My JessEm Mast-R-Slide is there.
    I can think of no "common day to day reason" to have the fence to the left of the blade. (a left handed person may have a different point of view though.)

On my Jet right tilt. I did put the fence once to the left to rip some long miters. It was a pain in the keester too. The fence had to be aligned to the left, and re-aligned to the right once I was done.

Move your rails. Other than possibly providing a liittle extra support for the wing to the left. It's probably a case of "That's the way it's always been".

Of course I would be interested to know why you need the extra capacity to the right. Just curious is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Keith. I have a left tilt General 50-220 Tablesaw. I have no rails,and no extension wing to the left of the blade. My JessEm Mast-R-Slide is there.
    I can think of no "common day to day reason" to have the fence to the left of the blade. (a left handed person may have a different point of view though.).......

....Of course I would be interested to know why you need the extra capacity to the right. Just curious is all.
    Right now I have 52" capacity to the right which is normally fine. There have been two times i wanted the extra space so I could cross cut some wood and use the fence as a stop so I could repeat the cut. Thats all.

I am getting ready to build a router table/cabinet on that side and will use the saw fence to support my router fence and I need to decide about the rails so I know how big the cabinet table should be.

I also have a plan to build some interior doors. With the extra fence capacity I plan on putting the fence on the opposite side of the router but and cut my tenon on a large sled.

Thanks for your input. I think I am going to move the rails.

Hi Keith, I have a left tilt General 650, with aproximately 12" of rip capacity to the left of the blade.

It is very useful if you are putting half stopped dadoes or rebates on a top for example. You can cut the opposite hand stopped dado or rebate safely by using the fence on the left of the blade for the cuts that require it.

This prevents you from using the unsafe "just lower it gently onto the spinning blade" method of visiting your local emergency room.

Regards, Rod.