Thread: Jet JWBS 14CS bandsaw, should I buy

Jet JWBS 14CS bandsaw, should I buy

I ahve the chance to pick up this bandsaw with a riser block, fence and rolling cart for $400. Is this saw OK, or should I hold out for something bigger?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I've had that saw for about the last 5 years. It is an awesome saw and handles everything I through at it, including resawing. I'd recommend Timberwolf blades, they cut wood like cutter.

I just recently installed some major upgrades to my saw, all Carter products.

I changed out the tires for their urethane ones. The only reason though was that mine had developed a crown and were making it hard to keep the 3/4 blade tracking correctly. If the tires are in good shape, I wouldn't change them out.

I installed a new tension spring. No problem with the stock one, but since I was changing out the tires and adding other upgrades, I added this one too. Again, unless there's a problem with properly tensioning the blades, no reason for this. I recommend you follow the directions that Timberwolf provides for tensioning the blades, not using the tension gauge.

One of the best time saving improvements I've ever installed on my tools was the quick release mechanism. I HATED to detension the blade all the time, this thing is an amazing time saver. But it's only that - a time saver.

For the best bang for your buck, I'd highly recommend this as an essential improvement - the Carter bandsaw guides. They dramatically increased the accuracy of the saw, especially when resawing (I was able to take a clean 1 mm slice off of a 2x4).

Hope this helps.

Be well,

Doc

I have also herd nothing but good things about this saw. I think there is a model with the blade tensioner built in. ALso the powermatic is a hopped up model of thei ssaw same saw whith some nice improvnments. Not sure itis worth teh extra $$$ though.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by James Hart View Post
    I ahve the chance to pick up this bandsaw with a riser block, fence and rolling cart for $400. Is this saw OK, or should I hold out for something bigger?

Thanks,

Jim
    New saw 500.00
    fence 110.00 (kreg fence)
    base 90.00 (HTC)
    Riser 100.00?

That puts you at half of total retail, a good benchmark. If ther are blades involved that haven't been used up, you are getting into gravy.

So the math says it's a fair price.Most folks do just fine with a 14" BS.

Good luck with that purchase

Jim

The saw is fine wether or not you should get it depends on what you want a bandsaw to do. If you want to cut some small bowl blanks (TW AS blade works well), curve cutting (especially tight curves w/ 1/8" blade), somewhat accurate ripping, and the occasional resaw then it will work pretty well. The price is fair but by no means cheap. If you decide to purchase something else later you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

On the other hand, if you really want to use a Lennox trimaster carbide blade for accurate ripping and resawing, need more throat space, or go after some large, thick, nasty bowl blanks then something like a Minimax MM20 would be a better, although a lot more expensive, choice. I sold my 14" Jet saw for a MM20 and it was a good move for me. If I end up in a larger shop someday I would like to add a 12" or 14" bandsaw for some tasks.

James, there is a 14" rigid out there also with a nicer shopbuilt cart/mobile base for $200, and a Delta 14" with riser block etc. for $550. Be sure what the Jet's HP is--there are several models, the guy on CL doesn't list his, and it's very difficult to tell... he has to go out and read the motor plate. This can make a big diff, as well as the base. For a 1HP+ machine, the $400 seems decent for our area. OTOH, there was a Jet 18" bandsaw, 2 year old so I assume the newer improved version, for $700 just 2 weeks ago.

Not a bad price, but not smoking--the add ons like blades he might have would make it good.
    Good luck!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028