Thread: Jet 13" Moulder/planer

Jet 13" Moulder/planer

Anyone making baseboards or moulding with a Jet 13" planer/moulder. I know this is not a professional moulder but has anyone done a few rooms around their house? I am working a deal out with a SMC member on one. Just looking to see some work that has been completed with one.

Also, where are the good sources for moulding cutters for this machine?

One more question, How loud is this machine. Is it TEFC 20" solid standalone planer loud or Dewalt lunchbox planer loud? Probably depends on the knives being used.

I plan to just use this for moulding as I have two other planers. Chris has it all setup ready to go for moulding.

Also, I just read that the Grizzly knives work with this machine.

I have one of these but I've never made mouldings...yet. Since it doesn't have a universal motor it should be quieter than a lunchbox. I love mine. I recently purchased a dust collector and this planer is MUCH louder when you attach the dust collector...something about pulling all of that air around the cutter head. The owners manual states that dust (chip) collection is required for making mouldings. My machine really needed the roller table extensions to reduce snipe. I also had to purchase the hood attachment for the dust collector. I devised a method to mount a Wixey digital height gauge and that's really cool...and useful. Sorry I could not directly answer the moulding question but I'm a happy owner.
    Last edited by Dennis Miller; 02-01-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Mike, I also own 1 of these machines but haven't made mouldings yet. And yes as far as I believe the grizzly knives work.

Dennis, care to post a pic of how you did the Wixey on yours.

Thanks
    Roger

It's not loud until you turn it on In planer mode it is quieter than a lunchbox. Depending on the knife pattern it can get really loud doing mouldings. Most of the 1/4" thick smooth back knives around are the same basic specs so finding knives will not be a problem. Stock profiles will be considerably less than custom.
    Scott
    Scott's Sharpening Service
    Glendale, AZ

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I do not know about how that machine works, but woodmaster can make knive for any machine. Plus they have a huge selection(over 500) of knives.

Roger,
    To mount the Wixey digital gauge on this planer, the electronic readout assembly needs to be fixed in position to the main body of the planer and the rest of the the unit needs to attach to the table so that it moves up and down with the table. I used a piece of aluminum angle (painted black) to attach the main body of the gauge to the table using the same bolt location where the infeed roller extension attaches. The electronic readout attaches to the body of the planer using an existing hole and a bracket supplied with the Wixey unit. It's a little extra work to do it this way but you don't have to make new holes in your planer this way.

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Dennis

I'll have to do that.

Roger