Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0490 review and shop photos

Bob, thanks for the review. I'm glad to hear that Grizzly came through for you on the base. I've run just a few more boards through my jointer than you have and have found it to be a good machine. Enjoy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

belt slap on start and stop

Bob, I got rid of the belt slap at start and stop by using quick grip clamps to tension the belt. The link belt also helped. See the picture attached. You have to pull down on the pully side and pull/push up on the other side to keep the motor parallel and have good pully/belt alignment. Proper alignment and the link belt really help to reduce vibration.

Note that I used a 3/4 " board in the bottom of the cabinet for the bottom of the clamp to hook under. I used full hand/squeeze pressure on the pully side and double checked the pressure after everything was checked for parrallel and then tighened all the bolts and removed the clamps and board in the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Ruflin; 02-02-2008 at 5:03 PM. Reason: additional info

thanks for the tip

did you tighten the clamps with full hand strength?

I did the same thing. With perfect belt aligment and really good tension using some of those one handed spreader clamps mine makes no bang or rubbing whatsoever, even with a link belt on. I can place a nickel on the outfeed and start it up, let it run, and stop it and the nickel never moves.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I may have to try that with mine. I have a slight bang at startup but after that it is smooth.

Mike and Tom: Do you leave those clamps there all the time to maintain proper tension, or do you make some adjustment while clamped, then remove the clamps?

Rob,

You loosen the bolts to adjust the motor, then apply the spreaders to put the correct tension on the belt, then tighten the bolts and remove the clamps.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    Rob,

You loosen the bolts to adjust the motor, then apply the spreaders to put the correct tension on the belt, then tighten the bolts and remove the clamps.
    Thanks Mike. I was curious since I have a G0490 sitting in my garage still crated waiting for me to make room for it and to get help assembling it. One of these days... Rob

Congrats, on the jointer I upgraded to a G0490 also from the same jointer (6" Delta) a few years ago. I've been very happy with mine also. This pasted year I put a Byrd head in mine. Looks like a nice shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein View Post
    Thanks Mike. I was curious since I have a G0490 sitting in my garage still crated waiting for me to make room for it and to get help assembling it. One of these days... Rob
    Mine took me a couple of months to get completely running too. also BTW I am leveraging your Board Buddy mounting design for my tablesaw fence.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    Mine took me a couple of months to get completely running too. also BTW I am leveraging your Board Buddy mounting design for my tablesaw fence.
    Mike-Good luck with the board buddies installation. As you probably noticed, I based mine on a bunch of different folks' methods after searching the archives. It was handy to actually print out some pics and take them down to the shop. I'm sure one day I'll hit you up for advice on the jointer. One day... --Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein View Post
    Mike-Good luck with the board buddies installation. As you probably noticed, I based mine on a bunch of different folks' methods after searching the archives. It was handy to actually print out some pics and take them down to the shop. I'm sure one day I'll hit you up for advice on the jointer. One day... --Rob
    I actually looked at your pics and then designed my setup on Pro/Engineer. Just PM me if you need some jointer help.
    Mike Marcade
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ruflin View Post
    Bob, I got rid of the belt slap at start and stop by using quick grip clamps to tension the belt. The link belt also helped. See the picture attached. You have to pull down on the pully side and pull/push up on the other side to keep the motor parallel and have good pully/belt alignment. Proper alignment and the link belt really help to reduce vibration.

Note that I used a 3/4 " board in the bottom of the cabinet for the bottom of the clamp to hook under. I used full hand/squeeze pressure on the pully side and double checked the pressure after everything was checked for parrallel and then tighened all the bolts and removed the clamps and board in the bottom.
    Tom, thanks for the post. When I get a chance I'll try that with mine.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I went to a link belt on mine. I found the stock belt too stiff and caused the belt to have a lot of memory. Link belt did the trick.