Thread: Finish Question

Finish Question

I am finally getting to the finishing stage of my cherry and maple cradle. I applied a coat of BLO thinned about 1/3 with mineral spirits. I plan on applying one more coat full strength before moving on to the shellac topcoat. I know before applying the shellac I should wait till the smell of the BLO is gone ~1week. How long do I need to wait before applying the second coat of oil?

I will post pics when done. I have to finish before Dave Richards finished his ( The beautiful boat shaped cradle_. I won’t be able to follow that one. It would be like Joe Shmo following Sienfeld at the Improv.

Also, with all the talk lately about proper disposal of finishing rags, I started thinking about the cardboard I have sitting under my project that I am finishing. I do get oil on it in the process of applying oil to the project. Is that at any risk of spontaneous combustion?
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Robert,

I usually apply a second coat as soon as the first one is dry to the touch. You didn't say how much time has elapsed before your first coat but it is likely already dry. Make sure to wipe off the second coat well to speed the curing process. I usually do this about ten minutes after I apply the coat.

As for the cardboard, if all you have is the usually minor drips and it is open to the air, you should be just fine.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Robert, there is no need to thin the BLO...just wipe on a liberal coat, let it soak in for a bit and wipe off any excess. If you want it a little thinner, the best method is to heat it in a water bath. You can recoat the next day if you wish to do so, but one coat is usually just fine if you are going to top-coat it. If you are using shellac for your next step, you only need to wait about a week before applying it, according to a finishing pro I respect.

I don't believe your cardboard protective surface should be an issue with combustion...it's a flat surface, just like your project. The fire potential really comes into play when thin materials, like rags and paper towels are bunched up like kindling and ignite from the heat generated by the curing process. They have a low-flash point. If I am wrong about this...someone please correct me immediately!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...