Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions needed on potential table saw purchase

Good news! I just got an e-mail from the seller and he says he'll let the saw go for $800. Other posters have said that this sounded like a much more reasonable price. Do I bite?

Thanks!

JT
    Yeah, I misspelled my last name when I registered

The last 2 numbers on the serial (back of saw) are the year of manufacture. I own an '84 vintage and I feel it was the best of the entire breed.

They are built to last, as long as the machine is complete. It sounds like someone really must have abused it as some point to force a trunnion replacement and then bearings although that is recommended every 3-6 years depending on use in production.

For $800 it would be hard to pass it up. The motor is a minor piece since you can get a high quality convertor for less than the motor and it'll work just fine. The blanchard note has already been covered. I considered doing mine as it has a very slight crown, but it doesn't affect performance and frankly, the cost was prohibitive.

You could do much worse! You'll have to be comfortable with the decision ultimately.

I have copies of nearly every (possibly every) original owners manual for the 66. If you let me know your vintage, I could probably locate the correct one and scan it in, pdf it, and email it.

mike

If you have enough doubts, pass. There are plenty of PM66 and Generals out there (at least out here).

Brand new Steel City Cabinet saw with the granite top and riving knife are right at the price you are looking to spend on your project.

Setting aside the new paint job, it looks like a late '60s machine from the handwheels and the oval badge. The badge will have the serial number on it. The first digit will indicate the year (like 8xxxx is 1968).

As far as the reground table and replaced trunnions, I wouldn't worry about them. Just check out the blade tilt and raise travel and make sure it all moves smoothly.

Go with the VFD--it'll be cheaper than a new motor, and your existing 3ph motor is better than a single phase one. And you can sell the existing starter to get a little money to help with the VFD. I spent about $300 on a 3hp Leeson for my PM 65 two years ago, and motors have gone up since then. That didn't include the starter or pushbuttons (I couldn't find heaters for the included Arrow-Hart starter).

I think this is a good deal. And if you go

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Setting aside the new paint job, it looks like a late '60s machine from the handwheels and the oval badge. The badge will have the serial number on it. The first digit will indicate the year (like 8xxxx is 1968).

As far as the reground table and replaced trunnions, I wouldn't worry about them. Just check out the blade tilt and raise travel and make sure it all moves smoothly.

Go with the VFD--it'll be cheaper than a new motor, and your existing 3ph motor is better than a single phase one. And you can sell the existing starter to get a little money to help with the VFD. I spent about $300 on a 3hp Leeson for my PM 65 two years ago, and motors have gone up since then. That didn't include the starter or pushbuttons (I couldn't find heaters for the included Arrow-Hart starter).

I think this is a good deal. And if you go

Kirk
    I'd have to agree about the vintage of the saw. In fact, the first number on the serial number is a 6. The seller told me that the saw is a 1966 machine.

I did test out the tilt and raise wheels and everything worked like, well, butter.

The saw won't be available for pickup until next Friday so I'll update this thread with some pics around then.

My thanks to everyone!

JT
    Yeah, I misspelled my last name when I registered