Thread: Spalted Maple Bowl Screw-up #2

Spalted Maple Bowl Screw-up #2

This is the 2nd spalted maple bowl I've messed up. I made a funnel out of the first one. This one is 13" x 7", Danish Oil and buffed. It had some thin cracks starting from the edges in. I got it down to about 3/8" and blam, a small catch and then there was two....pieces that is. One piece still attached to the chuck and one bounced off my face shield, no injuries other than pride. Separated from one of the original cracks to another on the opposite side. You can see the line in the photo. I let it sit for a few days, then glued it back together and finished it for practice. I was playing with the side design and kind of looks like a bee hive. The LOML likes it even with the filled in crack. In the right light it kind of looks like a long spalt line. I didn't get a super tight fit when re-gluing it and if you hold it up to the light some parts of the glue line look clear which makes it look like.......well a crack again! Should have used black epoxy, and should have filled the cracks before turning, lesson learned. Thought you might enjoy the adventure.

A question for you all, I was turning this to give to my friend who saved me a few pieces from his tree before the city hauled it away. My wife said it looks good, go ahead and give it to him. I'm on the other fence, kind of feel funny giving someone a piece that has been repaired. What are your thoughts?

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dale Gregory; 02-01-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Jet1642-2hp (Mayo Lite)

Nise Save, Mine End Up In The Wood Box For Burning

Dale,

Nice save! Great lesson.

I often use instant coffee crystals mixed with epoxy to fill cracks. Let it dry overnight or longer and turn it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great save on the bowl Dale. If the wife likes it then it must be ok.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Totaly agree!

I'm a cheap old guy, (stingy?) I've never met a piece of figured wood that I would throw away because it wasn't perfect. If you don't say antthing, I'll bet your neighbor won"t notice, or care.
    Bob

I'd give it to him - it is a nice looking bowl

Dale - glad you didn't get hurt when the bowl exploded! I know how exciting that can get!! Beautiful wood - I agree with your wife - nice looking bowl and you should give it to your friend! Better luck on the next one!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Dale considering the difficulties you encountered turning this one, I'ld say it turned out pretty good. I agree with LOYL go ahead and give it to your friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Dale, you are probably a little like me. I am a bit to critical of my work. My wife tells me not to point out the errors of my ways, but let the admirers enjoy the piece for themselves. I agree with others, if your wife likes it your friend will problably thank you for such a lively gift. After all it is wood, God made it, and me and neither is perfect.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Blog Entries
    Nice piece. As far as the repair goes, that just means it comes with a story to tell. I charge extra for that.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.