Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile base for 18” Steel City Band Saw?

Mobile base for 18” Steel City Band Saw?

Just picked up a 18" steal city band saw, OMG! This thing is heavy, almost killed myself getting it in the house. My back is regretting I didn't get the 14". Anyhow I will need a mobial base for this there is no way I can move it on my own around the shop if I have to comfortably. What is a good mobile base for it?
    -=Jason=-

Better than a mobile base
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=zambus
    with the exception of having to reach down and adjust 4 knobs instead of stepping on a pedal.
    Use the fence Luke

Looks intresting how do you roll it on thoes, I don't understand do you have to reach down and unscrew, or screw down each foot when you need to move it, doesn't the bolt bind up on a heavy machine? Can someone explain how they work and what model they have used for the steal city 18".
    Last edited by jason lambert; 02-02-2008 at 4:25 PM.
    -=Jason=-

The red thumbwheel in the pics here
    http://www.zambus.com/pages/ac300.htm
    lowers the black foot down to raise the caster wheel off the floor and holds the saw in place. Dont know what's underneath the SC saw base but the MM16 has 12mm threaded holes for the leveling pads that directly fit the stem type on the casters.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    Funny you should ask. I just finished and posted about a DIY mobile base for my drill press. But the idea can be easily adapted to any tool.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    I used a jet 600lb mobile base and cut the size adjustment bars to length for my SC. I think I went one step further and bolted it to the base as well.

Blog Entries
    I used a Jet 1200 LB. base and cut two slide bars down to fit the narrow dimension on my Rikon 10-345 saw.

I agree...damn they are heavy. I put my SC 18" on a Shop Fox 1200 lb base.

Rod

The base underneeth is hollow so I don'think I can mount the wheels easly. I think the regular mobile base will be the best. What is a good one? Saw weighs 450 lbs.
    -=Jason=-

The dealer that I bought my SC 18" from gave me a mobile base made by 'Samona' (look for product 34072 "Heavy Duty Mobile Base"). I've bought a few Samona branded items - mostly mid-price clamps and DC ducting bits, small tools etc. It's better than a lot, not as good as the best. Anyway, the base assembled easily, fitted the BS admirably and seems to do the job very well. For a retail price of something like $80 it would be a reasonable buy, for free it was very good!

They gave me the smaller stand for the SC drillpress I bought the week before and it similarly works nicely.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

My SC 18" is bolted to two 2 x 6" and is permanent but... tomorrow night it's going mobile on the larger JET universal base. I have my Steel City jointer on one and has been awhile. I keep it in the rear shop and just roll it up to the cut area when needed. The Jets handles the 450 lb. jointer with ease. It is best to put a piece of 3/4" ply down on the base before putting the saw on and then bolting it down.

Good luck...

Sarge..

The 'Samona' actually looks pretty nice. maybe Iwill try that. I like the fact that you can level it my floor is tilted a bit.

I also picked up a steel city drill press, wasn't thinking of a moble base for it but might be nice also.
    -=Jason=-

I have this one under my SC 8" jointer.
    I was surprised with it. It is very stout and moves easy, wheels are raised with a pedal. Its on sale.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114

Logistics question

I'll have the same issue soon, hopefully.

I have been trying to picture how you lift the saw onto a base or bolt on the casters. I have this picture in my mind where my wife is standing in the garage holding the tilted 450 lb saw while I screw in the casters. Either that or I set up the base and say, "OK, honey, one, two three… lift!"
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The 'Samona' actually looks pretty nice. maybe Iwill try that. I like the fact that you can level it my floor is tilted a bit.

I also picked up a steel city drill press, wasn't thinking of a moble base for it but might be nice also.
    -=Jason=-