Thread: Dust Collection Blast Gate Question

Dust Collection Blast Gate Question

I have soem metal dust collection blast gates I bought from Lee Valley and they are made very nicely. But does anyone make a metal gate that
    had a longer "lip" to fasten the hose to? I have a problem with the hose slipping off. I try to tighten the clamp as tight as I can without breaking it as I have a few. Or has anyone tried adding a no-slip tape to the "lip"
    It is odd that the metal gates have a 1" lip and the plastic usually have 2-3" lips. Can't find the logic in that! The plactic gates just seem like they would break easily and I haven't found any that are self cleaning. Any suggestions??
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

You can dog ear the plastic ones on your table saw (just making a notch in the corners where the sawdust builds up allows it to escape when you close the gate. You only have to cut about .75" off. It doesn't reduce performance and mine haven't clogged since I make the cut.

Ted, I just use a short piece of metal duct that is pop riveted to the bottom of the gate and sealed to create a nice flange that makes clamping the flex easy. If it's something removable, consider the quick connects from Grizzly's "premium" duct work. I have those on my two overhead drops that only get occasional use for the drum sander and router table. Great stuff!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used #4 1/4" panhead screws in my plastic gates, you may find a similar solution. I just drove a couple screws into the lip itself, then put the hose on and tightened my clamps - the little bumps from the screw heads give the clamp something to lock against and the short length of the screw doesn't interfere with the airflow any. If you're worried, file off any protrusions. This made VERY sure that my hoses never came off.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

5. I don't know if this is your problem, but if you are not using the wire type clamps it definitely is your problem. Use one of these, they are only about 40 cents each

Jet makes them. You can look them up at Amazon, just use search and "Blast gate clamps"

If you are using the type of clamps that are commonly used for water hoses, you are going to have a problem no matter how long the collar is. You know the ones I am talking about, the ones with flat metal all the way across the band. Forget it, they don't work, at least not for very long.
    The above photo of the wire clamps work on flat duct tubing, ribbed tubing etc. and they hold, they really, really hold.
    I tried duct tape with the flat metal clamps, and all sorts of stuff. Been there, done that. Once you try the wire clamps, you'll ... well let's put it the same way the guy on the TV commercial put it, when speaking to a women while giving a bid to remodel her kitchen,
    "Listen lady, we are going to come in here, and tear out your kitchen, and then we are going to go away for a few days, and you won't be able to reach us. Then the appliances are going to come in, and be all wrong, but believe me, by the time we are done, you are going to want to kiss me full on the lips."
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 01-11-2008 at 1:32 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Blog Entries
    I use the clamps Bob shows, no problems. The silver band style hose clamps, not worth the effort IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wire clamps do work better in these applications.... the hose style worm gear on the screw destroys the metal band when you try to tighten them up a little nevermind alot.....

Greg

Good advise and thanks. I think Jim's idea is the one I will try since I have invested in the gates already. Jim, did you find a standard 4" duck from HD or Lowes worked or should I gets something special?
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baca View Post
    Good advise and thanks. I think Jim's idea is the one I will try since I have invested in the gates already. Jim, did you find a standard 4" duck from HD or Lowes worked or should I gets something special?
    I bought the DC and a hose kit, but I could not for the life of me get the 4" hose to slip on 4" black PVC because the DC kit is measured OD and the PVC plumbing pipe is measured ID. I ended up going back to the store and purchasing a 4" coupler. I was able to stick the coupler into the PVC and glue it in place and then slip the hose on the other end and wire clamp it. Came out pretty slick