Thread: Source for a new power cord

Source for a new power cord

I have a Delta 36-L31 3 HP, 1 phase 230 Volt saw, and have it located in the center of my shop - about 6 ft from the nearest elec outlet. The stock power cord is a bit too short - about 8ft, so I am looking to buy either an extension cord or a replacement cord that is 14ft or so. The current cord is 14/3 - any idea of where I can buy such a cord?

Ken,

I buy mine at either Home Depot or a local Ace Hardware.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Consider buying some SO or SJO cord in 14/3 or even 12/3 and a heavy duty plug and make your own. You're already going to be wiring the cord to the motor/junction box, so go the extra step and wire the other end to a nice heavy duty plug. You should be able to pick everything up from HD.

I buy extension cords for this purpose. The wire is less expensive that way, and there is a pre-molded plug. I usually get the 50' and cut them in half.

Jim

I'd just buy 14 ft of 12-2 or 10-2 stranded wire and a 240V plug.

I, too, buy a good extension cord in the same (or heavier wire gauge, if longer). I've found it to be a less expensive approach than the cord and plug, even if I don't include my labor, and I get the nice molded plug.

In all fairness, just about any separate plug will be of significantly better quality than the "nice" molded plugs on extension cords. If you ever cut one apart, you will be amazed at how cheaply they are constructed inside.

--Wayne

But don't forget that if you buy an extension cord the "nice molded plug" is the wrong type for 240 volt.
    If you have a Menards or HD store around they sell 14/3 or 12/3 rubber coated wire in bulk and just a few steps away you will find the 240 volt horzontal blade plugs.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Deutsch View Post
    I have a Delta 36-L31 3 HP, 1 phase 230 Volt saw, and have it located in the center of my shop - about 6 ft from the nearest elec outlet. The stock power cord is a bit too short - about 8ft, so I am looking to buy either an extension cord or a replacement cord that is 14ft or so. The current cord is 14/3 - any idea of where I can buy such a cord?
    I just bought some 12/3, a plug and repect. (220v), made a 220Volt extension cord. Went to sawing & never looked back. Just be sure to make GOOD connections.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I use 10/3 or 12/3 flexible rubber cable (depends on line length and amperage draw) with heavy duty twist locks (hubble?) for all 230V connections. Also use stress reliefs at cable ends where appropriate. No confusion about what plugs in where, and they never get pulled half out on accident. Electrical connection is not the place to save a nickle. Nothing funny about arcing 20A/230v in a dusty shop. Costs $30 more per machine, but hey, I'm worth it. Can usually get better and cheaper plugs/receptacles from local pro electrical supply house than home cheapo.

I use the rubber cord sold by the foot and put the appropriate connections on. (Twist Locks for my shop) I like the rubber cable, despite the fact it's harder to prepare for the connections.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like others have mentioned, I have used 12/3 extension cords but I don't understand how they are using the molded plugs on them for 220v. I buy the extension cords just for the fact that the cord is much less expensive than buying 12/3 cord in bulk. I cut the plugs off and add the 220v plug(s) I need and I'm good to go. Some may argue that the bulk cord is more durable and that may be true. But I've never had a problem with the two cords I've made at all. Other than being slightly scuffed up here and there they look as good as the day I bought them.

Bruce

I have often found that you can buy a 12/3 extension cord with plugs on the end cheaper than you can buy the same wire without the plugs on the end from a spool. I never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have often found that you can buy a 12/3 extension cord with plugs on the end cheaper than you can buy the same wire without the plugs on the end from a spool. I never understood that.
    I think some would argue that there is a quality difference between the two. I know that's pretty vague considering you can buy really expensive extension cords made from high quality wire and poor quality bulk wire. But the bulk wire that I've seen is usually a little more robust and well protected than most extension cords I've seen.

That being said, as you can see from my previous post I do this for the 220v cords I have and I've never had any problem with the quality at all. The last one I made was for my jointer and I used a 25' Harbor Freight cord. Other than the color being a little bright, I'm completely happy with it.

Bruce