Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those dirty thieves

Those dirty thieves

I discovered this morning that my compound miter saw, a Delta 10" model, and my Firestorm cordless drill (and a bunch of bits) were stolen from my garage.
    That's a total of about $400 worth of stuff including the good blade I put on the saw.

Time to file a police report and start replacing them. By the way, I live in a "nice" neighborhood. You just never know. I woke up the other morning to discover that one of the kids left the garage door open all night. I didn't notice the missing tools right away but I'm sure that's when they disappeared. The CMS was mounted to a large platform. Someone had to put it in a vehicle. They wouldn't have walked very far with it.

Just needed to vent.

Russ, I'm really sorry to hear that. Luckily they are replaceable objects, but they are also personal. I hope it is a one time occurrence.

As consolation, may your favorite team win the Superbowl today, may you find $400 laying on the ground in a field, and may your new tools end up even better than the ones that were stolen.

I have often wondered if we ought to have a few really shiny new totally cheap and useless tools in plain sight with the real ones hidden away.

Hope you have an OK day anyway.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Russ, sorry about your loss. Never a good thing. As an ex-cop, a word of advise: That douche bag may well know that you'll replace the tools with new ones. He'll hit you again in a couple weeks, after insurance pays off, to get the new ones as well. Trust me, scum thinks of everthing, they have nothing more constructive to do. That's why we call'em A$$ H@*!s.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Russ,

Sorry to hear of you loss!

My sympathies.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

that sucks. Intresting thatthey knew what to take and bring a way to transport it. Elk and some other companies make a portable alarm tht is pretty nice for worksites/gurages. Not sure how much it runs but a siren and a motion detector should scare anyone off if they try again.
    -=Jason=-

Sorry for your loss, Russ. Hope you had them marked somehow. Keep an eye around your "nice neighborhood" sometimes things just turn up. DAHIKT.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

thieves

Russ, hate to hear of your loss, might start checking the local pawn shops
    or fleamarkets they will most likely turn up in one of those places real soon. If you start trying to hunt them down...take the serial numbers with you, might come in handy if you would happen to find them!

Sorry to hear that. When something like that happens you really feel violated.
    Keep your eye on the CraigsList for your area and those surrounding you, you may just find your tools listed there. Unfortunately that seems to be the clearing house for a lot of stolen stuff. Strange postings like cordless drills..no charger, cell phones.. no charger case or manuals and I'll meet you someplace.
    Just my observations.
    Robert

Russ, Sorry for your loss. As I recall you can pickup an inexpensive alarm at Radio Shack that is very loud. Maybe using it may deter someone the next time.
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

I spend a lot of time on B and E's and larcenies and when one is solved it usually clears a lot. Well over a hundred on the last one I was involved in.

I recently lost a generator and a couple small portable tools to the same thing. Since everyone has a car "nice" neighborhoods don't help much anymore.

On the bright side for 2006 property crimes were down with a shade under 10 million reported.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    He'll hit you again in a couple weeks, after insurance pays off, to get the new ones as well.
    My condolences. When I got hit, it was about $2200 worth. Unfortunately if I would have filed a claim, my insurance would have doubled for the next 3 years which along with my deductible would have cost me even more than the replacement costs.

If I would have gotten hit again during that 3 years the insurance company would have used my then doubled figure to base another doubling on if I should wish to actually use my insurance coverage again (how dare me want to use what I am paying for).

This and innumerable other examples explain why most decent hardworking folks would gladly pile all the insurance companies right on top of that man-made reef we'd like to build out of all the crooked law firms who drive the law-suit-insurance-rate-hike circle of life.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Unhappy Bummer

We had the police knock on the door at 2:00 AM. Our garage door was open. It was during a thunder storm. I know it was closed when we went to bed. We now also turn off the circuit breaker at night and when we go to work. I also never leave the door open except to drive a vehicle in (or out). Its too easy to "case the joint" from the street. And we too live in a nice neighborhood.
    See my other projects at www.peterspirito.com

Thanks everyone. Ken, the cop that came over today said the exact same thing. I'm going to take steps to alarm the garage and make sure everyone's more careful about keeping the door closed.

We leave it open a lot like when we take short trips to the store or to take a walk and we've never had a problem in the 17 years that we've lived here.
    No more though. That's the saddest part. It's not that losing $400 worth of tools is going to send me to the poor house; it's the idea that enough people are scum and you have to protect yourself against them.

Man Russ that just sucks. I'm sorry to hear about this.

It may not break the bank replacing them, but I always say... no it isnt greatly expensive, I just don't want to have to buy it again.

Hope your insurance deductable isnt too much you can recoup a little.
    One good turn deserves another

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Sears View Post
    Thanks everyone. Ken, the cop that came over today said the exact same thing. I'm going to take steps to alarm the garage and make sure everyone's more careful about keeping the door closed.
    I guess I could have mentioned the positive side of alarming the place; you get a discount on your insurance around here if you run a monitored system with police response. All said and done my house and shop service only runs about $15 a month after factoring in the reduction on the insurance.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler