Thread: Marc Spagnuolo's Cutting Boards

Marc Spagnuolo's Cutting Boards

For those that have finished Marc's boards using his preferred method, i.e., 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and salad bowl finish, he states the following method of finishing. Marc says in his pod cast that he applies the first coat for 2 - 3 minutes, until the underside starts showing some wicking action. In one of his posts, he says that at that time he turns the board on its side and lets it sit there for 12 hours. My question is, do you not apply finish to the bottom as well? I know the answer is yes, but just checking since it wasn't clear in the podcast. Thanks.

I haven't watched to podcast but is that saying that the finish will "soak" through the endgrain? Some woods could but wouldn't maple be to dense for that?

I have always finished cutting boards with just mineral oil and do both sides. If I used a salad bowl finish I would do the same. I may have to get some and try it out. I have four boards to do very soon.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I made four of Marc's end-grain style cutting board as Christmas presents. I used only mineral oil, and did apply it to both sides. There was a small amount of wicking, but at no time did it soak completely through. Applying the oil to both sides worked very well!!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

I actually asked the same question directly to Mark on his web site. The answer is yes to put the 50/50 mixture on both sides. I did see it wick to the underside when I made mine that is when I stopped and then wipped it on the underside.

I, like hundreds of others, made Marc's boards for Christmas presents.

I used the 50/50 mix and found that I liked the look but it build up. I used 3-4 coats.

I started using 2 coats and then giving it a good 220 sanding. I then applied the mineral oil. It seemed like the mineral oil looked more even and not blotchy as it did when I just applied the mineral oil. It still does soak in quit a bit. If you let it set on the end grain for any length of time it will soak straight through.

Jim

i made end grain butcher blocks as Christmas presents this year. i finished them with mineral oil only. i probably put 4-5 coats on side one 'until' it soaked through. then let it sit overnight and finished the other side with 2-3 coats. the boards then have to sit and weep for a couple days.

I used the same mix and it does very well, I made 30 of them this year at Christmas, a few like his and a lot of different looking ones.

I would apply the finish on the top and sides until it came through the bottom. Then at this same time I turned the board over and started applying it to the back and it would come though the top.
    Wipe off the excess, turn the board over and set it on a little 4 point stand. Let the board set for a day and then do the same thing over again. Let it set and then I sand the top with 220 and put a finial coat on it just to look good.

Here are my almost Marc's boards...
    cboards1.jpg

Don, stay away from mineral spirits on end grain butcher block cutting boards. Mineral oil, beautiful. Walnut oil, nice. Mineral spirits? I'm a former professional chef with 15 years experience, Food-Safe certified in two states. Don't seriously consider soaking a piece of wood used to prepare food with a deadly poison. It might all flash off? Maybe?

I love Marcs videos, he makes a few beautiful jigs. Nice finishes too. But mineral spirits to wick into end grain butcherblock? I think I'm going to go through up just thinking about that idea. Doesn't he warn about food contact with that application? Sooner or later some body may use that beautiful block for cooking. Scary.

9. Cutting board finish

I agree with Peter!
    Why risk using toxic mineral spirit thinners? Mineral oil and parafin are also petroleum by-products. The clear winner is a non-toxic drying oil like Walnut oil. "Preserve Woodenware Oil" contains walnut as well as other all-natural oils that dry. The oil has a light pleasent smell and is easy to apply. Its made just for this purpose. Every other product I have found contains petroleum.

Marc's cutting board cost me over $10,000! When I retired, I thought I would make a cutting board with only my old Sears saw. Thousands of dollars later, I have a complete woodworking shop, and only wish I had started earlier in life. Thanks Marc! I grin every time I see one of your cutting boards.

Peter,

I think it would lead to a really good thread if you forwarded your opinion to Marc and asked him to respond here on SC.

It could be an interesting debate. I am sure we would all benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Langdell View Post
    I agree with Peter!
    Why risk using toxic mineral spirit thinners? Mineral oil and parafin are also petroleum by-products. The clear winner is a non-toxic drying oil like Walnut oil. "Preserve Woodenware Oil" contains walnut as well as other all-natural oils that dry. The oil has a light pleasent smell and is easy to apply. Its made just for this purpose. Every other product I have found contains petroleum.
    Mineral oil is sold as a laxitive and thus is safe for human consumption. Parafin is used in jellys and jams, also safe.

On the other hand, some people are alergic to walnut oil.