Thread: construction adhesives

construction adhesives

I am installing crown moulding. I was thinking of using loctite construction adhesive to install wedges/ corner blocks on the wall instead of searching for all the studs and joist, then use a pin nailer to install the moulding to the wedges. Has anyone used this type of adhesive for this purpose? Do you think it is strong enough?
    Thanks
    Dave

Dave

If your putting the sub/ nailer blocks at the corner of the ceiling / wall corner you'll be hitting the top plates , I'd use either screws or long finish nails with a lil carpenters glue or the const. adh.

I've done this many times , I space them about 2' apart in the field and somewhat closer at any outside corners.

Another tip would be to cut those nailer blocks a little smaller than they need to be , that "space" helps allow the criown to pull up "as tight as possible" to the walls and ceiling , which will not be truely flat.

Good luck.

I've done exactly what you said... I used construction adhesive. It was SO much easier than trying to screw into the top plate and they are not going anywhere.

The only thing I would do differently is, I would not use a pin nailer. That will not provide nearly enough holding power for crown. Use a finish nailer.

Try power grab. I used it to set some wall tile and the tile trim on our counter. It really works. No slip at all and it really grabs.

The construction adhesive will be strong enough, the question is, will your wallcoverings be strong enough?

As Paul said, you should be hitting top plates, unless your house is balloon framed.

Keith, is the powergrab the newer waterbased stuff? How long was it taking to set up for you? I want to try it.

Ditto on what Alan said, a pin nailer probably won't cut it, unless you have a 1/2" wide crown.

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Thompson View Post

The construction adhesive will be strong enough, the question is, will your wallcoverings be strong enough?

As Paul said, you should be hitting top plates, unless your house is balloon framed.

Like dustin said glueing wood to paper , the drywall paper and paint ain't a good idea. it crys out "call back" to me , I don't like "call backs" for poor workmenship, it never pays!

You're gluing to both the ceiling and the wall... it's plenty strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Simpson View Post
    You're gluing to both the ceiling and the wall... it's plenty strong enough.

Could be but I do it, carpenter, for a living and I wouldn't do it. Only one piece needs to fail and your sunk. YMMV. Yes it might hold .

I have a 4 3/4" crown hanging from it for about 8 years. It DOES hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bureau View Post
    I am installing crown moulding. I was thinking of using loctite construction adhesive to install wedges/ corner blocks on the wall instead of searching for all the studs and joist, then use a pin nailer to install the moulding to the wedges. Has anyone used this type of adhesive for this purpose? Do you think it is strong enough?
    Thanks
    Dave
    How wide is your crown molding?

If it is "normal" size then why not just use a finish or even better a framing nailer to nail the blocks. As someone said unless your house is more than 30-50 years old it should have a double top plate that would make it easy to nail.

Toney

The house is about 100 years old and its an old converted camp/lake house. the studs and joists are random at best. I tried some of that loctite power grab adhesive, and boy that stuff is tough. It says its good for installing moulding without using fasteners. I'll still nail the moulding to the corner blocks. The few blocks i glued to the wall are on there pretty good and I dont think I'll have a problem with the moulding I'm using.I did cut the blocks about 1/16 small to allow the moulding to be pulled up tight to the wall and ceiling. Absolutely nothing is straight in this house.
    Dave

Post some pics when you are done, and don't forget the cope close-ups!

Dustin