Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First project from the new shop!

For an example, the bookcase side to top joint consisted of a rabbit on each surface (for a large glue surface.) I wanted the rabbit to be 1/2 of the width of the ply and that dimension deep. It's sort of hard to explain without drawing it on a piece of paper.

I cut the parts to size and then cut the rabbits and it was important the depth and width were exact. There is undoubtedly a more efficient way of doing what I did, so that is something I need to explore.

-=John=-

project

Very nice. I like the 2 tone.

I second the two tone, I love the contrast. Great job!

If you don't mind, though, I wont let my wife see it. Might give her ideas! She's already killing me by watching the DIY network

Quick note on the plywood thing. One of my suppliers over the weekend mentioned that there are like 1300 plywood making facilities in china, but only a half-dozen or so make decent stuff. He showed me some stuff he just got in, and I must say it was real nice. The cherry veneer was about 1/8" thick on both sides. Don't have to worry about sanding through that.

Cool Don't get me started!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kerley View Post
    Quick note on the plywood thing. One of my suppliers over the weekend mentioned that there are like 1300 plywood making facilities in china, but only a half-dozen or so make decent stuff. He showed me some stuff he just got in, and I must say it was real nice. The cherry veneer was about 1/8" thick on both sides. Don't have to worry about sanding through that.
    1/8" - sweet! My Oregon ~$60 birch ply didn't have veneer that thick!

One sheet of the 1/2" Chinese birch ply (used on the desktop) was from a large hardwood supplier in San Antonio and it was only marginally better than the big box DIY Chinese ply (store name begins with an "L".)

I managed to burn through a wee tiny bit of the desk top veneer when I was sanding the poplar edging to match the ply (and it didn't take much time/pressure with 150 grit, either). Funny thing is I even ran the edging through the thickness planer to exactly match the thickness of the ply, but the ply didn't have a consistent thickness !

Cool project. I've thought about something similar for my office since a closet doesn't make much sense there. I've debated how it would look --and now I know.

great job John... and ditto on the chinese ply. I will never use it again

It looks fabulous!

Excellent work! I really like that clean design.
    -Jeff