Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inter-Site Etiquet?

Inter-Site Etiquet?

I visit a number of turning sites. A lot of people (including me) post pictures on many/most of the ones that I go to.
    Each site seems to have it's own feel when posting replies to those items posted... Including this one where, as it has been noted before, where there are not many comments at all.
    What to do? When I like a piece, I am tempted to say so, across the net, but I'm sure it would sound like hero worship or something, that's not what I want, and someone asked for "critique" on a site and I pointed out what I thought was a variation that might have improved the piece (IMO) and I could feel the "room" go cold from subsequent posts, like it was wrong to actually give a real opinion...
    My question is how do those of you who go to more than one site handle these issues, if you even think of this kind of thing, and for those of you who only visit one site, what do you think - and why are you not visiting other sites?
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 02-04-2008 at 4:26 PM.
    Change One Thing

George, I do a lot more looking than posting. But when I do post something I usually put it on about 4 or 5 of my favorite turning sites. However, when I post a comment about someone else's work I usually limit it to one site, the one I saw it on first. Don't know why, I guess for me it just seems redundant to post the same comment several times.

If someone asks for comments/critique, I see absolutely no reason to even have one iota of regret in providing the same if I have something I perceive as useful to contribute. If that bothers others, then I can only assume they missed the request by the OP for such comments/critique.

I do, however, feel that one must exercise tact when making such commentary. When expressing critique, it's also important to provide details that are helpful not just to explain your thoughts, but if you can, suggestions on what/how to make a change or develop things.

As to multi-site situations, I go by the convention of the particular site I'm visiting. But as I only really visit SMC and WoW relative to turning, the same general rules for critique are in place so that makes it easy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Site critique!

It is mostly a matter of time with me. I just do not want to spend that much time surfing the net. One other site I signed up for gave me a grammer lesson. I haven't been back. To me this is about sharing Ideas and not grade school. I am 71 years old, and the time I hve left is to valuable to waste on grade school grammer and etiquite. I find the Creekers to be friendly, warm, inviting, Etc. Other sites seem to be cliquey, too far out, and mostly a waste of my time.
    Bob

There was a post made a few months ago that did an excellent job of outlining the proper nature of a critique. I suggest we review it, and try to follow that outline.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56171

If they asked for a critique and the piece is close but I have something I would change I tell them. If I can't see the piece because the photo is so bad or taken at to high an angle where you can't see the form I just move on.
    If the piece just has way to much wrong with it for me to get into it I move on.

The way I look at it is we are all adults if they ask for a critique they should be willing to take it. If people want to get pissed that is fine, I am not interested in my popularity to much. If I critique a piece it meens their is somethng their that I do really like, or else I wold not have said anything.

No I am not a snob or anything I just think if the piece is a total mess the turner just is not ready for a real critique yet they need ata boys more then anything and I will not say I like a piece if I don't.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by robert hainstock View Post
    I am 71 years old, and the time I hve left is to valuable to waste on grade school grammer and etiquite.
    Bob
    Bob,

The words are spelled grammar and etiquette. ...just joking. I had the same experience a while back when I rebutted a comment during an Internet debate (argument) where the poster wanted to critique my spelling rather than actually speaking toward the discussion. It's just the way it is on the Internet.

Being at least a reader on three different boards, I tend to try to comment honestly but tactfully. I've found the best critique method is to "sandwich" negatives between positives and encouragement and to try to approximate the turner's skill set into the equation.

I agree and only comment on the item on one board. I also realize there are a lot of watchers.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

To me looking at pictures online leaves to many "what ifs" You take the words left by the poster, make the best you can from what you can see and post your comment. I do not have a camera set up. I'm often seeking someone to take a picture for me here or there. Honestly it's not a tool I seek. I'd rather have another woodworking tool aposed to a camera but that's just me. It makes me feel left out in the posting area sometimes. I think each piece is turned in the eye of the turner doing the work. He doesn't part it off until he's pleased. If his market is for gift or sale and the end result is also pleasing thats all that matters.

George

I visit multiple sites, belong to 3 but only post in 2. The main reason I joined SMC and continue to be an active member is because everyone is willing to assist all the new turners. Everyone offers suggestions, techniques, videos, books, etc as well as ideas on how a turner could improve the form, finish or photography. While encouragement works well for those just starting out it does leave a gap for those folks with experience who, when requesting a critique, only receive fluff in response. I have requested critiques in the past and found that while I appreciate all the comments, I do place greater weight on certain individuals, who are more experienced than I, and are truely giving me the benefit of their knowledge.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Everything in life is a learning experience. And one of the best ways to learn is from the input of your peers. If I ask for a critique of a piece or a particular portion of the piece, I expect to receive honest answers. With that said, I will also consider the source of the critique and their experience/talent.

George,

I visit many sites (sight is eyesight, Har!Har! a little humor) but will only make a comment on things that I like. I really don't have enough knowledge to "critique" someone else's turnings. But some of the sites I visit, there seems to be a group of people that are very free with attaboys, even if the turning is in pieces. That gives the new turner no offering of improvement or learning techniques. And yes, I understand your feeling of coldness after offering an honest critique. I feel that many new turners don't understand the techniques that the more advanced turners use, even when you try to explain said techniques to them. We have recently received our Charter from the AAW and while we have a small club, we are indeed fortunate in having some very talented carver/turners with many years of experience who have workshops for the club on Saturdays at their own expense and teach all of us relative newbies anything we want to learn. Unfortunately it doesn't work the same way over the internet. And your turnings are outstanding!!! Keep turning and learning!

I feel like Robert and George. I used to be signed up on 5 forums trying to learn everything I could. Like Robert on one I got chastised for grammer and not using the right terms for piece of equipment. I now only post on two. One I won't go back to because like George I made a comment about I really didn't care for something on a vase I think. Something like the vase looked great and the collar with contrasting wood looked good but if it were me I probably would have left the foot off. I posted a couple of times with pictures and not one answer or anything. I posted a question and not one answer. This is something that for this site shocked me. So I don't see a need to waste my time with people that act worse that little children. I am 61 yrs old and don't need that kind of stuff. Life is to short.

I do feel if you ask for a critique then take it and learn. If it makes you mad and you don't like what is being said then don't ask.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

When I post a pic I really appreciate honesty. I will not get better or grow as a turner if I cannot take honest replies.

George, I don't know of anyone who could offer criticism and not offend someone. If you have a constructive suggestion, feel free to make it. But don't expect approval from everyone.

Years ago I heard someone say, "Jesus Christ didn't please everyone when he was here. How could I possibly hope to?"

Roy