Thread: Beall Tool Tilt Box performance

Beall Tool Tilt Box performance

A recently purchase a Beall Tool Tilt Box to measure the tilt angle for my table saw. The specs for the unit are an accuracy of +/- 0.1 degree, and a resolution of 0.05 degrees. What I am seeing is that the device seems to have some "sticky" performance (hysteresis, actually) that is far greater than the resolution spec. When I mount it to my table saw blade, and crank the blade tilt, the TiltBox reading doesn't change until the blade has moved about 0.2 to 0.3 degrees, and then it shows the new angle (after settling in). At first I thought that this was some "stiction" in my saw, but after looking carefully, I am convinced that the saw blade is tilting smoothly (I can watch the scale pointer move, while the TiltBox reading stays constant.)

Do any of you have the TiltBox, and if so, do you see this sticky performance ?

I have the Wixey, basically the same unit and mine is very accurate, based against a Starrett. I do do not get any "sticky" performance, very smooth.

Heather

Bruce

I just checked mine out. Mine is doing the same thing.

I am not sure what it could be.

I will be watching to the responces as well.

Quinn

I have the Beall and have quite the opposite experience, myself. I find it's very sensitive and even brushing against the saw with the slightest bit of weight will cause it to adjust. I've not seen this sticking issue before with mine. I'll bet if you get in touch with the makers, they'll put footprints on their shoulders to help you.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I give the Wixey a few seconds to "settle" after I move it - and often I see the reading change to a different (more accurate?) value after a few seconds. Based on measurements taken after a cut - it's right on the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I have the Beall and have quite the opposite experience, myself. I find it's very sensitive and even brushing against the saw with the slightest bit of weight will cause it to adjust. I've not seen this sticking issue before with mine. I'll bet if you get in touch with the makers, they'll put footprints on their shoulders to help you.
    My experience is in line with Jasons. Extreme sensitivity to any kind of vibration or pressure. I wish it would operate with a battery eliminator supply so I could just leave it on all the time. Almost impossible to use until the thing has warmed up for a while.

Could it be related to tilting in two dimensions? If the blade rotated slightly, would this cause whatever measures the angle change to bind?

Just got it. I have the same experience mentioned by Bruce.

Blog Entries
    I haven't noticed any problem with mine, but you can bet I am going to look a little closer at it tomorrow...

Was it pretty noticeable?
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

I just put my wixey to the test the other day. I was making the tenon on the top of my rear leg of my Morris chair. The rear leg excepts the arm at an angle...so there is 4 seperate cuts to make. Wixey passed with flying colors!!!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    I haven't noticed any problem with mine, but you can bet I am going to look a little closer at it tomorrow...

Was it pretty noticeable?
    I have done some more experimenting with the TiltBox, and find that the problem seems to be worst around 90 degrees (as when I try to set the blade for a true vertical cut.) At 45 degrees, the problem is still there, but reduced. For the 90 degree setting, it's near useless ...I can get much more accurate results with an Engineer's Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Gray View Post
    A recently purchase a Beall Tool Tilt Box to measure the tilt angle for my table saw. The specs for the unit are an accuracy of +/- 0.1 degree, and a resolution of 0.05 degrees. What I am seeing is that the device seems to have some "sticky" performance (hysteresis, actually) that is far greater than the resolution spec. When I mount it to my table saw blade, and crank the blade tilt, the TiltBox reading doesn't change until the blade has moved about 0.2 to 0.3 degrees, and then it shows the new angle (after settling in). At first I thought that this was some "stiction" in my saw, but after looking carefully, I am convinced that the saw blade is tilting smoothly (I can watch the scale pointer move, while the TiltBox reading stays constant.)

Do any of you have the TiltBox, and if so, do you see this sticky performance ?
    I don't have a tilt box, but I do have one suggestion....

Just give the entire saw a "bump" after attaching the box to the blade. That should break loose the internal mechanism and hasten an accurate reading. It probably won't take much; just enough to get the internal mechanism in the box to start moving. Once the initial friction is overcome, the mechanism should function properly.

This is simililar to the thumping that plant operators give "steam gages" to overcome friction in the mechanism.

Give it a try; it can't hurt and should help.

-Tom H.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    I don't have a tilt box, but I do have one suggestion....

Just give the entire saw a "bump" after attaching the box to the blade. That should break loose the internal mechanism and hasten an accurate reading. It probably won't take much; just enough to get the internal mechanism in the box to start moving. Once the initial friction is overcome, the mechanism should function properly.

This is simililar to the thumping that plant operators give "steam gages" to overcome friction in the mechanism.

Give it a try; it can't hurt and should help.

-Tom H.
    This might work with the Wixey but I doubt that it will with the Beall since there are no moving parts inside. It's all electronic.

I've had the Beall for quite a while now and it doesn't miss a beat. No problems at all. However, I did have a problem with the buttons being a little stiff with the first one I received and they very promptly sent me a new one and paid for return shipping of the old one. They said they had some problems with the buttons on the first batch. My experience has been pretty much the same as Jason's. Give J.R. Beall a call and I'm sure they will take care of the problem one way or another. Keep us posted as to the results.

Bruce

I thought it was just me … apparently not! This is my second one as the first one had problems with the buttons as mentioned in previous post. I don’t trust the readings at all and find I’m comparing the reading of the box to plastic drafting angles or engineers squares.

Brian