Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins.

And so it begins.

The spalted maple is in the chuck, I just got my face shield, I guess the excuses are at an end but trepidation stills reigns supreme. Bowls still have an almost mystical quality to me. Plus after seeing some of the amazing work displayed here I have to wonder "Why bother". Guess I just have to jump in.

Maybe I will go watch Bill's or Jimmy's DVD again.

Toney

Toney - if you have watched Bill's video - then you have all the basics on what to do to turn a bowl. Just be safe, take your time and enjoy what you are doing! It's a fun process that only gets easier with doing! Don't worry about how it turns out - just start turning and it will be just fine.

When done, if you have any questions we will be more than happy to answer them!

Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Toney , it looks like you are ready , more ready than some, and remember this " If at first you do not succeced, try , try, again" . Keep at it you will get it and be a better person for it., also when done - pics, pics,pics...
    John 3:16

Sounds and looks like you are all set. Remember, it's only wood and I hear it grows on trees. My only suggestion would be to use a toolrest because it looks like you may be lacking in that department when you took the picture. (runnin' and duckin')

Cheers,
    Steve Kubien
    P.S. Is that some sort of variable speed controller you've got hooked up to your Nova 3000? How does that work?

Toney it looks like you are ready to go. Now just jump in with both feet and make yourself a bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ready

Toney shop looks good! Good luck wood does grow on trees!! Looking at your shop set up, a hint if you get a lot of shavings in your tool rack a friend of mine uses a window shade to roll down in front of his work bench it keeps all the shavings off his tools! Good luck! George

CHARGE, sort of!

Remember Toney it is not for us you turn, but for yourself. We're here to support, guide and cheer you on, and help you when we can. I have learned that most of the many things I turned when I was younger, were wrong technicaly. I learn something every time I tune in to the "mill".
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kubien View Post
    Sounds and looks like you are all set. Remember, it's only wood and I hear it grows on trees. My only suggestion would be to use a toolrest because it looks like you may be lacking in that department when you took the picture. (runnin' and duckin')

Cheers,
    Steve Kubien
    P.S. Is that some sort of variable speed controller you've got hooked up to your Nova 3000? How does that work?

The box has an on/off switch, a variable speed knob, a brake and a reversing switch. It came with the lathe.

Works great.

A tool rest? Had not thought about that.

Toney

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

I doubt very much if my efforts will be worth wasting bandwidth on but I guess I am ready to dive in.

Or maybe watch another DVD.

Toney

Go, Toney, Go!!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Lots of Luck Toney,

I have found that there are few things more enjoyable than when a sharp gouge creates a string of shavings flying by. You'll love it. Hope you also learn to laugh off the gaffs.
    Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Good picture! With any reasonable sort of luck, it will be fun

It's really not so bad just trim away everything that doesn't look like a bowl..
    sorry had to say it..

We're ALL pullin' for ya, Toney. Start makin' chips! And remember that every piece is a learning experience.

Bruce.
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

You are good to go. We all gone through that.
    I forgot which famous turner who told this. He said he gave his MIL a "master piece" in his early turning days. He saw it was proudly display when he visited. He is sure that his MIL would mention who the artist was, and doesn't what that piece to represent his current skill level. He tried to exchange it back or even steal it back.

It looks like you are very well equipped, a chuck in the lathe, two more on the shelf, Jacob chuck, 4 curve tool rests and numerous turning tools. It would take you quite a while to get familiar with all these.
    Gordon