Thread: Router suggestions for table w/ lift

Wink Router suggestions for table w/ lift

/I need suggestions for a 2-3 hp router for permanent mounting in my table equipped with a Jessem router lift. I would like one that the collet can be raised for above the table bit changes. It seems that most of the larger routers come with a plunge base which would have to disabled to use in the lift.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Creel
    /I need suggestions for a 2-3 hp router for permanent mounting in my table equipped with a Jessem router lift. I would like one that the collet can be raised for above the table bit changes. It seems that most of the larger routers come with a plunge base which would have to disabled to use in the lift.
    Gerald,
    First, welcome to the Creek! This is a great place to call home. Lots of really nice guys and gals, full of great information!! Though most have more experience and knowledge than I, I would look at the PC 7519. It has a fixed base, variable speed, soft start, and 3 1/4 HP motor. I have one in a Benchdog router lift and love it. Above the table bit changes are easy. I've never used anything else so can't offer any alternatives, though I'm sure someone can. Again welcome to the Creek!!

Mark

I'll agree with Mark, albeit with the modification to use the PC 7518 rather than the 7539. The plunger with the Rout-R-Lift just complicates things...

I've been using the PC 7518 in combination with the Rout-R-Lift for a few years and have been very happy. That being said, if I were buying a lift today, it would be the BenchDog cast iron unit or the Mast-R-Lift from Jessem...or maybe the PRL from Woodpeckers. The Rout-R-Lift is a nice, but it's a very old design--larger plate and not as much vertical range at the "top". But if you have one...it's the one you should use!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gerald, The milwaukee 5625-20 has an integral mechanism for adjusting the bit height above the table. Its a sweet machine and you can get it as low as $299 on the web.
    Dennis

How about the Plunge Lift from Woodpeckers? Then you could go with one of the large plunge routers out there. I have a DeWalt 625 that I'm plate mounting now but the Plunge Lift has me very tempted.

As far as a large router goes I haven't tried them all but have been very happy with the DeWalt even using free hand with the soft start I think it's more manageable then my old Skill 1 3/4 HP.

Dean

I have a PC 7518 router along with the Jessem Rout-R-lift.
    I am in the process of building a table. Finewoodworking has a good article "the ultimate router table" they use both of the above. (can't remember which issue), they show how you can remove the 7518 motor from the base and replace the base with homemade MDF mounting plate, thus giving you greater verticle range - you can then change bits from above the table. The MDF mounting plate is nothing more then 2 layers of MDF approx 6" square, with 1 hole cut out of the middle the same diameter has the router motor (a thru bolt clamps the MDF tightly around the motor, then the MDF is screwed to the Rout-R-lift mountng plate. I will try to post the issue number.
    Last edited by Howie French; 03-07-2004 at 9:05 PM.

You can often just pick up the motor only from the PC7518. I think its part number is 75182 or -2. Woodpecker's seels the motor only if you go that route or google the part number and see how you fare.

I have the PC7518 motor only with the Woodpecker PRL in my router table.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.