Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St. Louis Wood Sources

Good points about Wood N Shop and Hibdon. I pick up exotic turning stock at Wood N Shop periodically. Hibdon is a candy store. I try to only go there once a year or so.

Tom has some nice domestic candy tho.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Several years ago I went with my uncle to a place that was in an old school that I thought was in the Kirkwood area but I'm not sure. No idea what the name of it was or if they are still around, but IIRC the gym was full of lumber. I tried looking them up in the phone book on my last trip to St. Louis since I had some extra time to kill, but didn't see anthing that I thought might be them. Kind of hard to take lumber home on a plane, but its still fun to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Several years ago I went with my uncle to a place that was in an old school that I thought was in the Kirkwood area but I'm not sure. No idea what the name of it was or if they are still around, but IIRC the gym was full of lumber. I tried looking them up in the phone book on my last trip to St. Louis since I had some extra time to kill, but didn't see anthing that I thought might be them. Kind of hard to take lumber home on a plane, but its still fun to look.
    Think that's St. Louis Hardwoods.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

wood

I don't know if anyone is already aware but there is a place in Pontoon Beach I stumbled across recently. Gateway Hardwoods. Prices were reasonable last I was there. I believe he has not been in business that long. The last time I talked to him he told me he could get me anything I wanted. I do not usually buy more than a hundred board feet at a time though.

David,

Tom usually advertises on stlouis.craiglists.org when he is going to be open. Just do a search in the for sale items for lumber. I see his add there for saturday's 9-11 quite often. It is not every Saturday but it is usually in there a few days before the saturday that he is going to be open.

Later.

There are usually urban sawmill guys around the edges of any big city. If you would put a post on Forestry Forum, I would bet there is a guy with a portable mill sawing lumber around there somewhere. Would just be lumber that is native to the area. Just a thought. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I knew that place Matt. It was in Meacham Park. In its day I considered it the best lumber secret in the area. They are long gone though.

St. Louis Hardwoods has a much smaller store nearby; not the other place's equal on many fronts.

David,

I am sorry we have not connected. Selling lumber is a second job for both Joe and me which is why we have limited hours. We currently average every other Saturday morning. Best to call or email me or search STL Criaglist Tools for "lumber" ads to learn our next session.

Cash is good. We do not accept plastic.

I am developing a theory about lumber sources: The best values are highly correlated with inconvenience. Finding a sawyer who sells cheap wood (green or dry) is not easy and usually involves mileage. Running to a nearby strip mall store to grab another oak board involves high overhead . There is room for all of us. You choose.

Thanks all for the kind words. No referral fees or newfie discounts. Same price for everybody always. But if you are nice, you get shown the good stuff.

9. We've just had a great experience with Michael Morgan in PA. The shipping cost is minimal and the wood quality is top notch. On top of it, Mike is a great guy. http://www.palumber.com/Monthly_Special.html

He even throws in a few extra pieces to tempt you into something pretty cool.

Good stuff.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies