Thread: East Indian Rosewood HF

East Indian Rosewood HF

8" x 7" side grain hollow form, finished in BLO. This wood was from a young tree that was killed by a beetle infestation. The base was only 10" in diameter and the heart wood was just starting to form. To take advantage of the little heartwood available I turned this side grain. I would love to find more of this wood from a mature tree as the heartwood polishes to a shine without any finish.

Comments or critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man that is pretty! Very well done Paul.
    Mike

WOW... I really like that form... and the wood.... WOW... looks like a pictures of an explosion

Paul - great form - beautiful wood! Love all the worm holes and that color really is striking! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Paul, that piece has a lot of character, both from the wood and the form! I really like it. Did you rough turn it green and finish it later, or was the wood pretty dry when you started? Was this tree growing locally?......
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, Arlan the wood was sort of green so I roughed it and let it sit a month or so and then finished. The tree was growing in central Florida, where I winter. They are an exotic and can grow to quite a good size, unfortunately they are not that plentiful.

Luv it!

Excellant piece. E.I. Rosewood is so- neat to work with, and may jusy have the best working oder of any wood, like a dozen roses.
    Bob

Wow! That is beautiful wood, the wormholes and figure and contrast add so much character, as does your form. Great job.

Very nice piece Paul. East Indain rosewood has become a very popular landscapeing tree in my area in the past couple years, but I have only got hold of a mature tree once. The one I got had a thick sap wood band on it as well. It is a dream wood to work with, and I look forward to the future when the trees have chance to mature (and get cut down) ;-)
    FYI - All the trees in the common areas of my subdivision are East Indian Rosewood
    Mike Vickery

Thanks, Paul. As I'm learning, I really appreciate insights into methods, particularly successful ones! I travel on business into central and south Florida constantly (I'm in Tampa now...), so I may try to cultivate relationships with local tree service folks! I really like that wood!
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching