Thread: Cradle Progress Report

Cradle Progress Report

Well, today was fruitful, I think. Last night I milled the ash for the ribs and did a couple of test bends. Today, I made my rove setting tool and then prepped the rest of the ribs and installed them.

The typical method of doing the ribs is to steam them. I figured I'd try something a little easier. At least I didn't have to build a steam box. I just laid the pieces in the kitchen sink and ran hot tap water on them. I weighted them down with a kitchen pot full of water. I added some boiling water to get a little more heat. It took a little longer to make the ash pliable than steam would have but I wasn't too worried.

The ribs are fastened to the boat with copper rivets and roves. The setting tool is just a 1/2" bolt with a hole drilled in the end to allow the rivet to enter. The hole in the rove is slightly smaller than the diagonal on the square rivets. The rivet is started through a hole that is slightly too small for it. A maul head is held against the wood on the inside of the boat until the point of the rivet is driven through. (You have to be sure not to try driving the rivet into the head of the maul.) then a rivet is set in place over the point and the setting tool is placed. The rivet is driven through the wood and the rove. Then the rivet is cut off nearly flush with the rove. The maul is used as a bucking iron against the head of the rivet and a 4 oz ball peen hammer is used to mushroom the end of the rivet over the rove and slightly compress the rove. It takes longer to read that than to do it.

The ends of the ribs will be cut off flush with the gunwale after the inner rail is installed.

Dave, seems to me that you are creating a work of art as much as a functional piece of furniture! Man, you've got patience. You're coming right along with that project. I'll bet Kari didn't even mind you taking over the kitchen sink for a while! Nice job. I can't wait for the finished piece, but please, keep the updates coming!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dave,
    You are creating one pretty cradle. Pretty impressive.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks guys. Mostly, I'm learning a lot of new techniques which is kind of interesting. I keep thinking there must be other applications for some of these techniques besides boat building.

John, Kari didn't mind a bit. Of course she wasn't home at the time, either. Still, she's been real patient with me.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Dave, You're torturing me and It's going to snow today. I'll have to dig out some of the pics from previous sailing trips.
    Too nice.

Tyler
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Come on down, Tyler and we'll suffer together. I don't think it will snow today but it must be blowing about 100 mph out there. Close reefed topsail weather for sure.

Do you know how bad I want to get out and sail my boat?

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Dave Richards]Come on down, Tyler and we'll suffer together. I don't think it will snow today but it must be blowing about 100 mph out there. Close reefed topsail weather for sure.

Do you know how bad I want to get out and sail my boat?

I f you’re desperate (and Mama will release the dock lines) I can hook you up. With these winds, I think I’m glad to be on the hard.
    Have a good one
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler, I'm not desperate enough to go out on any open water we'd have around here. Brrr....