Thread: Soften Edges on everything???

Soften Edges on everything???

Do you all soften edges on every piece of furniture you do? Like on my tables I have finished I did not do this, so on the bottom of the aprons and all 4 sides of the legs and bottom rails it is as sharp as right off the jointer...Should I knock down these edges with a little sandpaper before finishing, or is it acceptable to leave them that way? Thanks,

jason

If you leave the edges sharp you could have problems with the finish being very thin right at the edge.

Sandpaper on a sanding block would work. Some people think that a very small chamfer with a hand plane looks/feels more "crisp".

ok, so then most do it to every edge, every time then right

Chris has it right. You need to "break" the edge for proper finish adhesion. I generally use a little 320 grit paper as a last step to effect that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Always, and more than for the finish. Those edges are sharp and can open skin if you bump into them.

YAh. Sharp edges tend to shed finish and damage easily.

ok, looks like I need to go back and do it to some of the tables I've built, how much do you knock off? Just lightly or until you actually see a flatter edge or what? Thanks guys,

Jason

I just usally go by feel but as I build more I tend to go rounder and rounder, I find it just holds up better and less likely to chip or dent. Depends on the look you are looking for.
    -=Jason=-

If you run your finger across the edge and don't get a paper cut.. ya done!

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Scott View Post
    ok, looks like I need to go back and do it to some of the tables I've built, how much do you knock off? Just lightly or until you actually see a flatter edge or what?
    "How much" is a style decision. I generally build Shaker style pieces where the edges are plain and "square". When I knock down the edges prior to finishing, it's not all that "visible" unless you look closely. Even then, it's just a little softening since the goal is not to noticeably round over the edge but to insure it's not sharp off the tooling. For other styles, it may very well be valid to noticeably round over the edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have this same issue with a coffee table I made a couple of years ago (one of my first projects) I didn't roundover the edges, and some are quite "crisp". What do you think of options if the piece is already finished? Could I burnish the edge with the shaft of a screwdriver without damaging the finish?

Sandpapaer for me

I couple of passes with some fine sandpaper is what I do. Granted if the furniture is already finished, this would be a bit distructive. My first furniture pieve I built I did not do this and the edges have lost most of the finish.
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

As most have said, "it depends". It depends on the piece, it depends on you and what you like but in general, sharp edges are a no-no for all the reasons outlined here.

Generally, think of it this way: Most fine furniture should invite you to touch and feel the piece. Feel how smooth it is...you don't want a sharp edge ruining that experience so when you knock the edge down, just go by feel until it "feels" right to you! Trust me, you'll know!

I knock all my edges down by hand...sand...feel...sand...rub...sand...feel.... I may even knock some down with a 1/16" or 1/8" roundover bit (again, depends on the piece, the function, etc.) but I always finish it with hand sanding.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I've found that too sharp of an edge splinters easily, usually during the finishing process when usuing a wipe on finish, scuff sanding, or using a tack rag. If you are lucky the splinter gets caught in the rag/sandpaper, if not, then in your hand.

My first project a few years ago was a kitchen table and chairs set. I did not knock down all the edges on the table and my children still remind me to this day.

I routinely use the smallest roundover bit that fits in the Hitachi at the router table and take off the smallest amount I can. Then I follow that up with sand..feel..sand...feel... as described above.

Make sure you do not roundover where your joints are. You don't want your tenons shoulders rounded over (oops, that was a confession of sorts).
    Trees. Tools. Time.