Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunchboxes don't carry the Starwars logo any more: Dewalt/Delta?

Lunchboxes don't carry the Starwars logo any more: Dewalt/Delta?

I am looking at a new lunchbox planer and am stuck between a Dewalt 734 (or 735 but other than the dual speeds I am not sure what the difference is) and a Delta. Recommendations? I guess I am open to almost anything within the $500 range.

Thanks

Tim

If I were buying one of these, I could likely be happy with either machine; the Dewalt 735 or the Delta 580. The Dewalt has the edge in weight (and shear loudness!) although some have reported less than optimal knife life. The Delta has been around for a long time now and is a proven tool. Don't scoff at the dual speed features...the higher speed is great for powering through a lot of the initial work when you have a lot to do and the slow feed speed gives a really great "finish". (Yes, you still do need to sand and/or scrape to remove knife scalloping, but much less than with anything that's feeding faster)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allaire View Post
    I am looking at a new lunchbox planer and am stuck between a Dewalt 734 (or 735 but other than the dual speeds I am not sure what the difference is) and a Delta. Recommendations?
    I don't own a DW735, but from other things I've read, I belive one of its other prominent features is that it has a built-in fan for ejecting the chips. Thus it's possible to just hook a length of hose to the dust collector port and stick the other end into a trash can. Without the hose, I believe it'll throw the chips all over the place.

I currently own a DW734 purchased a couple of years ago. I've had good results with it and would buy it again today. I'm still using the original set of blades that came with it, although I'm now on the second side. The locking head and folding infeed/outfeed tables seem to really help with snipe.

Changing the blades or flipping them over is simple. There's nothing to adjust. The blades however are disposable. I bought a second set for it, and those run about $45-$55. I've heard where some people are able to hone them to get additional mileage, but I've not tried that myself.

Might be useful

I asked a similar question recently regarding the DW734 and DW 735. I know you want to compare the Delta with the DW734, but this might be also helpful.

At the end, I decided to go with 734. I don't have it yet (I will buy it on March), so I can't personally comment, but I got some very good input from the guys here. Here's the link

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=dw734+dw735

Good luck!

Cesar

Thanks, this was very helpful, I guess that nobody has the Dewalt 22-580, or at least they are hiding in the woodworks (no pun intended)

One 580 owner here. Love it. Don't have a lot of experience with others. My buddy's is the Dewalt equivent but single speed. I like the height lock better on the Dewalt but the two speeds on the Delta trumps the lock ease.

Which ever you get, never underestimate the power of waxing the in and out feed as well as the "bed". Startiling difference. I now have a can of top coat didcated to the machine.

I guess I will throw in the obligatory mention of the Ridgid T1330 and R4330. I am stuck between one of those and the Dewalt 734.

I recently got the Ridgid R4330 and I couldn't be happier with it. The only complaint I have is that the dust collection hood can be a pain to remove and replace, but I don't do that often. After properly adjusting the extension tables I have no problems at all with snipe.

I'm also happy with my 22-580. If you look at first impression reviews, many of us thought the two speeds didn't make much difference. Both speeds gave a very nice finish. But if you wait until the blades are not quite so sharp as they once were, the slow speed can still give you a great finish when the faster feed won't look quite as good.

Those are both good planers. Mine came with a 4" DC outlet that can face either direction, but it's much more of a pain to install and remove than it should be. It works well though, as long as you don't let the middle of the intake get squished.

Keep an eye on prices, as they do fluctuate. When I bought, the Delta 22-580 was on sale $100 less than the Dewalt 734. Right now it's $50 more at Amazon.

I picked up the 734 at my local HD last Fall for $279 on a closeout. Sold my old 733 and an extra set of knives for $400. Mounted the 734 on a 1st gen Ridgid MSUV stand that I also bought on closeout for $99. The planer works great and the mobility is also nice. Someday, I swap out the whole setup for a stationary 15" unit, but that will have to wait until I retire and spend more than 1 hour a week in my shop!

Regards,

Ron in Ottawa

I also have the 22-580 and love it. Gives a great finish on both settings and have not had any ploblems at all. I got mine on sale at Rockler for $365 but I had to buy the dust cover for 19 bucks. I could not find the 735 anywhere near that price. And yes it is amazing how much sawdust these things produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Faurot View Post
    I don't own a DW735, but from other things I've read, I belive one of its other prominent features is that it has a built-in fan for ejecting the chips. Thus it's possible to just hook a length of hose to the dust collector port and stick the other end into a trash can. Without the hose, I believe it'll throw the chips all over the place.
    A surprisingly powerful blower in fact. First time I powered mine up I walked behind it and the blast literally caught me off balance. Of course normally you'd use the included diffuser or connect it to something. The hose kit has a big fabric bonnet with drawstring that goes over just about any receptacle. Not sure about just hanging the hose in the container. Based on the mess it makes with only the diffuser (or if you don't get the drawstring secured) I would not want to try it indoors.

It is a noisy beast, but probably no more so than running any other screaming lunchbox along with a screaming vac.
    - Tom

I got the Dewalt DW 735 new in box on ebay for about $400 including shipping. I love it!! I went with it after reading the reviews in FWW where it got top marks. The two speeds are a key reason to get it over the 734, with dust collection a close second.

DW735 doesn't use a head lock due to design. With the in/out feed tables, no noticeable snipe. I use a trash can separator w/ my shop vac for dust collection. The fan is powerful enough to put chips in the can w/ out the shop vac on. In fact when the shop vac filter gets dirty, the fan blows more air into the can than the shop vac can suck.
    I'm very happy w/ it and won't upgrade for a very long time. Not until I've got the coin to get a 20" w/ byrd head.
    It is pretty loud, but then so are all bench top models.

I'm still using an old Ryobi 10 inch that I bought used from a neighbor for $50 complete with several blade sets. It works great and I think it will never wear out. That's fine with me!

My neighbor bought a new DeWalt.