Thread: Pad Printing vs. Laser Engraving

Pad Printing vs. Laser Engraving

I have been looking at a laser engraver for a few months now and just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

I started to look at pad printing. Some machines tend to be less expensive and since I am going to be using it for one application this seems like a decent way to go.

Anyways I will end up printing either way on the barrel of a baseball bat. Right now I use vinyl, which works fine, but isn't allowed by MLB since it is raised.

On the end of the barrel we have 3 lines of text.

Line 1 - Model of the Bat
    Line 2 - Player's Name
    Line 3 - Type of Wood and the Length of the bat

All three of these lines could change from bat to bat; which could be bat for pad printing with multiple plates...am I correct in this? If I am set up and making new plates would be combursome and costly (??). With a laser I could just type in what I want in the software and engrave.

One thing I do like about the laser engraver is I can scan someone's signature on the bat and engrave it, which is a nice touch and something that could generate some $. Also the engraver could spiral off into other forms of income.

I don't like the fact that I might have to bore through a wall to vent the thing. Pad printing seems a lot cleaner.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations or sarcastic remarks are welcome.
    Centauro T5 Hydraulic Copy Lathe
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

I don't think you'll find pad printing cleaner. But it seems you answered your own question--you can't make the necessary changes with pad printing without major expense. One-offs will cost a lot more than lasering.

The laser is flexible, will provide infinitely more income per piece than pad printing and unless you're big in advertising specialities will give you a better return on your investment.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7