Thread: My 1st Gloat(and 2nd and 3rd)

My 1st Gloat(and 2nd and 3rd)

A while back in Dec. I had a chance to purchase a PM 66 and a Delta DJ 20. They where bought new in 1989 and never used. My orginal thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=725437&page=2 Any way, I got them for $2150.00 First pic is of the hole I drilled into the face of the saw and installed a grommet to run the motor wire out. I want to someday make a cover for the motor. I have to get some dimensions. And as of now I still have to attach the Wixey digital fence and a extension table. I can not find any solid color Formica in my area. It's all fake granite/marble... uck. So as of now the saw hasn't had a board run through it yet I wanted to purchase a TS aligner JR. but came across a great deal on a never used BenchDog 360 miter guage for $175. I wanted an Incra but after seeing this I am very, very pleased
    The jointer is finished. I call it the aircraft carrier, and my old Craftsman King Seely the rowboat I was completely amazed that after putting it together and setting the outfeed table correctly for the cutter head, none of the knives needed adjusting from factory. Thank goodness I purchased The Lee valley 50" straight edge. I faced and edge jointed two 8/4 x 5' hard maple and they came out perfect. This thing is a beast, well at least for me coming up from a 4" jointer
    I'm happy that I hel off on the TS Aligner and got the BenchDog. It is a very nice piece of equipment. My only wish, is that I had a smaller fence system on the saw. I very rarely cut full size sheet goods and this thing takes up some room! But, all in all I am very lucky to have new (old)American made iron.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Nice equipment. Now get that TS fired up!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

More pics

More pics. Lucky I have a beam in the shop. I used it to lift the jointer onto the base. And did the same to lift the saw. I wrapped two slings around the bottom of the base to the top of the saw and lifted it onto it's mobile base. No other choice I didn't have any help.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Congrats! Nice equipment. Now get that TS fired up!! Jim.
    I fired it up, did the nickle, dime, penny test...passed. But I have to align the table and fence before I can work with it. I have it close, but want to save some more pennies to get a tool( ts aligner) to do it correctly. I have a dial indicator/ magnetic base but aside from checking the runout of arbor (none) and the flange .002 I couldn't figure out how to use it to set the table parralel to the slots.
    Jim

Rob Will Guest
    That is classic stuff Jim, congrats and enjoy

Rob

Lucky Dog on the BenchDog!! Oh how I wanted one of those right after they discontinued them. And I would have paid the high price, too...

Congrats on all!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. It is nice. I like how the indents work. And extending it to the full width it seems pretty stout. All in all a good buy on my part. I can see why they had to stop making them. Well engineered, perhaps too well for their bottom line.
    Jim

Saw power cord may be to long?

I think I will cut off the long cord I put on the saw. I also put on a longer one on the Jointer. It is 18' long and I can see it being a problem storing on the saw. I'll leave a 4'/5' pigtail and with the extra, wire it into a satey switch mounted on the wall. I'll also put a red and green pilot light on the safety switch to indicate when the saw has power. That way I can roll up and hang the excess on a wall holder rather then haveing it dangling all over the saw when it's not in use. I do not ever invision me moving this saw further away the 8' from the wall switch. Anything wrong with this idea???
    Jim
    PS: The main reason I got such a long piece is Lowes had it on sale for .96 a foot. That was for 10ga. 4 wire SO wire. It was regulary $2.34 a foot. They have since marked it up to $1.93 a foot.

They were amazing miters Jim. I think less than 100 left the factory to customers. I just sold mine last week as I've moved on to the Mast-R-Slide.

You have the same vintage PM66 as I do, except yours may have come w/ the plastic cover vs. my Metal cover ('84 vintage here.)

I could take a few measurements if you'd like.

mike

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congrats Jim, that's a worthy gloat!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I noticed that your dog has pretty good taste in machnery too.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    I noticed that your dog has pretty good taste in machnery too.

-Jeff
    Heh heh, yeah Jeff, she has to get in the pic. I call her my shadow.
    Jim