Thread: mobile base for Jet TS

mobile base for Jet TS

I just bought a Jet xacta cabinet saw and I am thinking of putting a mobile base under it. How much higher will the base make it. Are the wheels on the base adjustable for a uneven floor. do the wheels retract or do they just lock.If they lock is the table as steady as without them.I was thinking a jet base but any better option I would be open to.Thanks guys. I was going to build a outfeed table for it tonight then got to thinking. You know the rest of the story nothing got done.

I built one for my jet xacta. I used 2x4's for the frame put together with mortise and tenon. I put a sheet of 1/2" ply wood over that. I mortised in nuts (one on top and one on the bottom) at any location I wanted a leveler leg and held them in place with epoxy. For legs I used threaded rod and welded a nut on each one to serve as a head to turn the levelers (put scrap squares of plywood under the legs). The put 4 castors under the part that would hold the saw and two under the extension wing legs.

You won't really save money by building one but its a good project. The best thing is you can set a cabinet on it under the space where the extension table is.

A drill with a socket the same size as the head of the leveler leg will raise and lower it fast.

Thanks keith that is just the idea I needed, how tall are the castors.and did you use half inch rods for adjusters.

I have a mobile base made by HTC under my 52" Jet cabinet saw. The saw sits about 1" higher on the base. There is no adjustment of the wheels, but with three wheels, I have not run into a problem with uneven floors. The wheels do not retract. The two wheels under the cabinet have a threaded mechanism that lock the wheels firmly. The third wheel under the end of the extension table has a rocker type of lock. I do not have an issue with the saw moving when the wheels are locked. Most of the time, I have just one wheel under the cabinet locked and that does the job for me. I would buy the HTC base again.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    I would buy the HTC base again.
    What Dave said. I've put HTC under the TS, BS, planer, jointer, and shaper. A small shop is easier to use when things can be pushed out of the way.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to a DIY (2x4's, plywood, bolts) mobile base I built for my drill press, but it can be adapted for any tool.

Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Besides making one....

So besides making one what do you all recommend. I did some searching on Amazon and the HTC HRS-10G got some pretty poor reviews. Said it sagged and was flimsy. Then I looked at the Jet 708199 and it got great reviews. However, the extension for the extension table go bad reviews. The Shop fox also got poor reviews. Any ideas??? I just order my Deluxe Xacta today and I need a base asap.

Shane

I have a Jet cabinet saw on a base from HTC, as I said above. Been installed for several years. No sag.

Edit - ps - Same model number - HRS-10G. Honestly, I cannot imagine how one of these bases could sag. It is built like a tank.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 02-12-2008 at 10:27 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

i bought the adjustable delta base because my tool guy told me it would fit.. turns out it fits the older jet models without the skirt at the bottom... but not mine.. so i took it back and got the jet adjustable.. but i hate it

I rebought the delta and am going to stretch it by cutting 2 sides and welding in a spacer. its much nicer.

I have HTC mobile bases under both of my Jet Xacta's. The model is JMB-JTAS50. I did a quick search for it and seems there are quite a few places that carry it, but all around $175

I bought both of mine from an eBay company called Mel-Co. They currently only have bases for the Jet 18" bandsaw and planer. When I got mine from them, I only paid $79 for each of them (one came in black, the other in the older blue color).

A couple of observations about this base. It is the same type that Dave described. Three wheels, one of which is a swivel (located under the extension table). The foot lock on the swivel wheel is under the support bracket and nearly impossible to engage. With the two fixed wheels locked down, the saw doesn't move though. The "L" bracket which the extension table legs sit on is a bit of a PITA to get lined up correctly. The one on my right tilt Jet isn't in the center, but it works. This base also only uses a single bar from the saw base to the extension. This is proving problematic now that I want to add a storage unit under the extension. Overall though, this is a very stout base and worth what I paid for it. At $175 I'd look else where though.

Be well,

Doc

btw, the jet has 4 wheels and none of them seems to lock well. I can move the saw with all 4 locked.

The delta has 3 wheels, but you raise the 3rd wheel up and the whole thing sits down on feet. very stable.

also the extension for the legs is worthless on the jet.. on the delta its pretty nice.

I love my jet saw.. but the jet universal base w/extension is horrible

Mobile base modification

I have the Jet mobile base (made by HTC) under my Jet cabinet saw. I found it had a slight amount of "spring" or flex (up/down) under the weight of the saw due to the long span between the casters. Also, the whole thing would sometimes move a bit even with the wheels all locked.

My solution was to add (4) "Heavy Duty Wide Foot Leg Levelers" (item #142498 at Woodcraft) to the stand. It required drilling/tapping 16 holes, but that went really quick. In retrospect, I probably only needed (2) at the middle of the span (front and back), instead of all (4).

With the leveler feet down, the saw is rock solid as though it were sitting directly on the floor. When I need to move it, it takes only a minute to raise the feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images