Thread: Who makes the quietest DC?

Who makes the quietest DC?

Just wondering if a Cyclone like the Dust Gorilla is louder or quieter than a 2HP conventional model? Are they all about the same Db level? DO some make a more grating noise? I think I would be a lot happier to use a quiet DC.

Oxymoron

I think a quiet dust collection is an oxymoron. I got the "muffler" add on with my PSI Tempest cyclone. Makes a huge difference. I also built a "screen" using 2X4's and some insulation. That helps too.

I have a decible sound meter. I will try to measure the loudness of the unit standing at different distances in my shop. But as a reference, it is louder than my table saw but quieter than my router table.

A DC is only a few minor steps away from becoming an air siren...the kind they use to warn neighborhoods of impending doom headed their way!

That said, Todd is spot on. Muffler at the output and isolation from your house is the best way to keep the noise and vibrations from causing turmoil with your family and neighbors. Also, invest in a good set of ear protection, which you should have anyway!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Ditto... and put it outside if you can. I think the main disadvantage is that you suck heated air out of the shop, the advantages are much less noise and any fine dust that escapes is outside so it doesn't kill you (so you don't need an expensive filter). I built a shed against the garage.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

The guy how puts it outside in its own room away from the work area.

I have a 2 hp cyclone from Woodsucker. When it is operating, some bigger machine is busily chewing up wood -- a table saw, a jointer/planer, or such. Those machines are all louder than the cyclone. I suspect this is true of all cyclones.

I have the same issue. I was all set to get a oneida but I was going to trigger it on and off with the tools till oneida told me that would burn it out. I find it hard to beleve I can't turn a motor on and off 6 times a hour but they said it would overheat it. It is ment to turn on and stay on. I looked at the sound levels in my small gurage and I am not sure I can tolorate it. Right now I am using several shop vacs and it seems to work, may just keep doing that.
    -=Jason=-

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    IRight now I am using several shop vacs and it seems to work, may just keep doing that.
    Or, you could just use a broom and dustpan.

The db ratings for machines like the Onieda cyclones are reasonably low, but I still wouldn't want mine out in the room where I work since I leave it running for long periods of time sometimes. So it has a dedicated closet. At that point, shop noise is limited to the tool in use and the various levels of noise generated by air rushing through the pickup hood(s) on the machine that's running. (Much louder, for example, on the J/P than on the TS due to the way the hood is designed)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dont know how this stacks up to other makes/models but I've got some ClearVue decibel measurements on this thread before/after completing the ducting,filters, drum, and enclosing it in a closet
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64272
    Use the fence Luke

Rob Will Guest
    Provided you can accomplish easy chip removal, a separate room or closet is the way to go. Also, some high density vinyl sound blocking sheet or vinyl / foam composite can be applied to various components such as the fan housing, duct work, and cyclone body. If possible, separtate your cyclone from the ductwork with a flexible coupler. I made such a coupler from a 3" wide strip of neoprene sheeting and two long hose clamps.

Rob

When I designed my shop, I designed in a closet for the cyclone. I regret that since it takes space away from the main shop that could be better utilized even with a cyclone there. While I can run the cyclone and still have a conversation, it's still annoying due to the air rush through the ductwork. Some of my machines also have whistles that occur when the cyclone is pulling air through them. Even a quieted cyclone doesn't really do all that much for you. I usually only run it with a machine anyway. Heck, half the time I leave the closet door open and sometimes don't really notice it for days since I hit the off switch on the tool then the off switch on the DC. Overall, I'd say the best thing I did was get myself a good remote control setup so I can turn it off when it's annoying.
    Jay St. Peter