Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova Chuck Cearance at lee Valley

Teknatool did outsource their manufacturing to China. There is a report on another forum about the comparison between the NZ made and Chinese Made SuperNova2. The report is favorable.
    I bought a Nova Titan when CSUSA had them on a discontinuance sale. I ordered the Titan Powergrip jaws separately, and then they put the jaws on backorder. I've waited almost 4 months, now, but I finally have them on the way from Tim Geist.
    I think the reason they are selling out is because it will be a long slow process of getting everything tooled up for each different chuck. However, the SN2s are already being made and shipped. The Titan and it's dedicated PowerGrip Jawset is on hold for now.... this according to Fan Huang, the Marketing Manager for Teknatool.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Moobey View Post
    Do the NC jaws interchange with, or fit, the one-way talon chucks?
    I'm pretty sure they don't, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hubl View Post
    A friend called and confirmed that this inventory IS NZ made units and accessories and NOT the china made stuff.
    I got mine today and it is a Chinese made unit unless the NZ started the different machining of the grooves. From what I've read they are supposed to be "just as good" so we'll see how it compares to my others. Even my other 2 don't run the same, they also don't have the same travel. I have a piece that had a tenon that was held on one where the jaws were almost all the way closed, and I used the other chuck and it wouldn't close far enough to grip the tenon.
    Either way I've got another chuck and I'm happy, and the Mrs got to see what she got me for valentines day. Unfortunately she caught on that I already had some of them and asked why I needed another one. Oops, didn't figure she'd notice.
    Kevin

Blog Entries
    WOW a Mod on another forum that I know personally said he called LV and they reassured him that all was NZ made stock, the 3 items I bought arrived a day early and all are stamped " Made in New Zealand"

Even the boxes say it.

The Titon Chuck has "MADE IN NZ"

Send it back if your unhappy, I would, thats why I added a few things to my cart to AVOID the china stuff.

In the future i'll add to my Oneway collection instead of buying the china stuff.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

If you go for an insert for the Nova check out the pinnacle adapter at Woodcraft. $4.99 for the pinnacle 1" X 8 and $25 for the nova insert. Put the pinnacle in my new G3 and it fits right up and runs true! Wonder where I will spent that left ofer $21?..Bill..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McPeek View Post
    I got mine today and it is a Chinese made unit unless the NZ started the different machining of the grooves.
    I got my Nova G3 Thursday from Lee Valley and its NZ not China.

My new Titan says made in NZ but the new Supernova2 says nothing, except made in NZ on only the box. Wonder what the older SN2 says? "'ave a gud day mate"

chris , my 1 year old super nova 2 say's made in
    new zealand on the composite backing plate.
    i received my titan with titan powergrips yesterday , it is very impressive.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I got my Nova G3 Thursday from Lee Valley and its NZ not China.
    I purchased 2 sets of jaws and the boxes are marked "Made in NZ". There are no marks on the jaws thenselves

Yeah, the box and backing plate on the chuck are both marked "Made in NZ" but the chuck has the different grooves as described on a few forums. I'll give the chuck a run through and decide then if I want to make any stink about it. I suspect it'll be fine, even though I hate to support the China outsource of any company from any country.
    Kevin

I don't believe the different placement of the grooves on the outside of the can be used to determine NZ/China origin. I bought 2 Supernova2 chucks from a woodcraft franchise location about 9 months ago, they were purchased within a week of each from the same store and they have different grooves. One also has "Lock" and an arrow to indicate the direction to close the jaws while the other has "In" and an arrow.

Jason

I have found out that you cannot tell the difference by the grooves on the outside. The only difference that you can tell them apart at this time is the sticker that comes on the outside of the box that says - Designed By Teknatool International Manufactured By Teknatool International PRC (Peoples Republic of China this is not written out but my take on PRC).

Well I hope thats the case. I got the impression from your review on the Nova owners site that the grooves were different on Chinese and NZ versions. Jason's comment is the first I have heard about the different grooves on chucks from that long ago.
    Maybe they had a design or machinist drawing change along the way..? Like I said, I'm happy just to have a new chuck.
    Kevin

Wanted to revise or append to my post to correct an error; non-metallic backing plate does read Made in New Zealand.