Thread: Is there a good FREE word processing program available for Windows XP ?

Question Is there a good FREE word processing program available for Windows XP ?

Hi:

Does anyone know if there is a good FREE word processing program available for Windows XP that would be like Microsoft Word?

Thanks,

Bob

OpenOffice.org

Cheers,

Lowell

Beat me to it. OpenOffice is your choice.

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Hi:

I checked it out. It says that it does not include an uninstaller. If I don't like the program, how do I uninstall it?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    If I don't like the program, how do I uninstall it?
    I believe XP has the capability to go back to a previous state. Remember the date you install the new program and you can go back to that machine state.

Also look at the following link I found http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5031716.html
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Make sure you go into XP's restore utility and set a restore point before you install OpenOffice. That way you can go back to the point just before install.

OO is a pretty good program (considering the cost) and it will probably do what you want if you are looking for a reasonable WP.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perata
    I believe XP has the capability to go back to a previous state. Remember the date you install the new program and you can go back to that machine state.

Also look at the following link I found http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5031716.html
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    "If you work hard enough and long enough to make something "idiot-proof", rest assured that someone will build a better idiot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    Hi:

Does anyone know if there is a good FREE word processing program available for Windows XP that would be like Microsoft Word?

Thanks,

Bob
    I almost forgot - there is a very powerful text program native to and inlcuded with XP called WordPad. You'll find it under Accessories. Give it a try, it may be all you need. You do have to know how to spell, 'cuz it doesn't have a built in spell checker.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam