Thread: Finished Computer Desk- Winter Project

Finished Computer Desk- Winter Project

For those of you that don't often visit the quiet side, each winter I try to do a "big" project, well for me, this is it. I have attached are a couple of pictures of the computer desk I just finished. It was featured in FWW August 2003 and was built by Charles Durfee. I used white oak, and applied 2 coats of General Finishes Shaker Maple, 2 coats of GF poly blend, and wax. This project allowed me to attempt hand cut dovetails, half-blinds for the front of the drawers and through for the backs. I killed some electrons too, but I cut a LOT of dovetails, and I could actually see the last ones look better than the first ones. I really enjoyed building this project. I am going to tuck those wires up along the apron on the left, and the cabinet on the right.Thanks for looking, Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick
    Very Nice!
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

My hat's off to you, Rick! I've attempted hand-cut dovetails (just through DT's) and failed miserably. I couldn't imagine myself doing HB ones! Very, very nice job on the desk, though I can't help notice that you do indeed have several electron killers in the background! Lovely piece of furniture and well done!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Thumbs up Nice!

Nice work Rick, the color is very rich looking. I really like the cabinet doors hiding the drawer fronts but I cannot for the life of me, figure out where they disappear to when the drawers are open!

Good looking shop helper too!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

computer desk doors

but I cannot for the life of me, figure out where they disappear to when the drawers are open!

Bruce, should have included this picture too to take away the mystery as you can see, they are bi-fold doors and swing to the side so you can access the drawers. Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very classy piece Rick. Well done.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lasita
    but I cannot for the life of me, figure out where they disappear to when the drawers are open!

Bruce, should have included this picture too to take away the mystery as you can see, they are bi-fold doors and swing to the side so you can access the drawers. Rick
    Thanks Rick, eye’s understand now.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney