Thread: Sign Company Specific Font

Sign Company Specific Font

I have several signs to do for next week and am looking for a specific font. I was told it was a sign company specific font, but to me it looks like News Gothic except for the lettering being rounded at the corners. I assume this was because it was done on a router. Am I correct?

Does anyone know what this font is?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Delta C Dynamics, LLC
    Richland, WA

"Associate yourself with men of good quality." - George Washington

You can do the rounded corners on your laser. Use the outline to create an outline on them and then pick the "Corners" or "Line Caps" in the "Outline" box. Using those will round the ends of the fonts and make it look just like it was cut with a rotary tool.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I don't believe that method will be adequate to simulate the corners made by the router as the rounded corners done this way will have a tiny radius.

I think you might succeed by converting the letters to curves, select the corners you want rounded with the shape tool, go to windows, dockers, chamfer-scallop-fillet. Set your radius and apply.

The font is not News Gothic, the bar on the "A" is too high. You can adjust that by selecting the appropriate nodes and moving them.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Depends what size it is. I use that method to simulate rotary engraved items weekly. I have a large number of items that go into the same place where things were rotary engraved 15 years ago. I was able to use this method to simulate it quite well. It all depends on how large the text will be. If it's fairly small, that technique works very well.

Correction, doing it this way needs to come from a single line font. I save it as the centerline of the font and then apply this technique and then it simulates the cutter radius.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 02-08-2008 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Correction
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

So, perhaps a good fix for this - since it is time comsuming and inconvenient - would be to have some enterprising individual, with the know how, to create a font specifically for laser engravers to simulate rotary engraved text.

I was hoping there would have been something out there already. I better get to work then.
    Delta C Dynamics, LLC
    Richland, WA

"Associate yourself with men of good quality." - George Washington

Try arial rounded, as a starting point, I've gotten away with it to duplicate rotary engraving. Franklin Gothic is also close but you'd have to round it manually.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

would somthing from this site work - not being a font guy

http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/rounded-fonts.htm

I'm with Joe, that looks like Arial Rounded to me too. I think they would be hard pressed to see the difference
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I was playing around...

...with it, and was able to get Arial Narrow to work with it, with just a little modification here & there. The A being one of them. The Gordon URW T Medium does look like the right font though. If you're going to do other signs (different words) that need to match this one, the font would be a good purchase. But, if they will all be the same, I would just modify Arial Narrow or something similar to get what you want.

Just my 2 cents.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 35W, Rotary Attachment, Corel X3, Adobe CS2