Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oliver Lathe, Old Iron,

I have an Oliver "59" or 159 I think.. It's heavily modified but it works well.. 12" swing and about 50" of usable bed length.. I bought it, and my dad and I did a "restoration" on it.. I couldn't find all the original parts, so like I said it's "modified"... I'm turning a cherry hollow form on it right now, so maybe some pics in a day or two.. I'm having trouble hollowing out the thing though.. I've got that discussed in another thread.. Good luck with the big "O"!
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

The Old Woodworking Machines site is still out there. I think it's changed the domain name so you'll have to Google it. That site is chock full of info on old iron.

I'd love to see someone pick up this old Oliver. If I had room and was nearby, I might get it. Hate to see the thing get scrapped.

And there just happens to be a Model F picture over there. The site is back up and running again. The Model F looks like it runs off of a Jack shaft. Has 84" between centers too. No room in my shop for it, that's for sure.

Ben, If you think it is an Oliver, dig around and get the serial number. Put in a call to Rich Fink at Eagle Machinery and Rich will tell you immeadiately if you have an Oliver, and probably it's life story.

If it is a big old Oliver, then you may have a find. Love em or leave em they were great machines that were made for industry and may or may not be something that will work for you. Don't be afraid of the weight, that's why they rent forklifts. Just make sure that you have enough room in your shop..

Good Luck
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Thanks Brian,
    It's back up, and here's the last thing I looked at on the site when I bookmarked it. Might be interesting.
    http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=185
    Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

For a big Oliver I would build the room.

Might even travel cross country.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

Oliver Lathes are awesome

Oliver lathes rock my world. Oliver's big iron was even commissioned by the US NAVY shipyards (if I remember correctly)!! Anywho, I live in Grand Rapids, MI, the home and birthplace of Oliver. I have been to the original factory, and they are really helpful there. If you can get the serial number off the machine, they can tell you EXACTLY when it was built, and who bought it. They currently use the name Eagle Machinery, because the owner of the company sold the name. Search for Eagle Machinery in Grand Rapids, and you will get their homepage.

I have old iron, but not Oliver. Get it if you have the room and you can afford it. You'll regret it later if you don't. Of course, I am partial. GOod Luck!

Hutch

P.S. Cliff, I know yer joking.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 04-02-2008 at 12:20 PM.

I have a Oliver 159 that I did a restoration/restification to and documented it here on SMC.

There is a series of updates if you look under my "started threads" in profile.

But there is a post by John Hart in this thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36322

that shows a few pictures at different stages of the process.

And if you look you can find one finished and chromed somewhere in those old posts/updates.

Post Ben,

Where you able to get some pictures of the "Oliver Lathe" ~ I am a little curious about the lathe you found. I own what is commonly known as a "20C" pattern lathe - However,,, there is an "F" stamped on the headstock and all the individual parts that makes up the lathe. this lathe that you are looking at must run in age around 90~ 100 years old. If what you are saying is correct than there a few things you need to take in consideration~ first of which is the bed ways. Being in a Steel plant , it may have been used for other applications than what it was designed for. Check to see if they are true through out the entire length. the lathe will also come with babbitt bearings or brass sleeve~ either of which is probably out of wear and may need to be addressed. You do have options to update the headstock bearings, if this is the case. It does involve sending the headstock along with the tail stock off to the machinist for new high thrust/high load capacity bearings that will alter the operation to a very precise rotation and very smooth operation of the spindle and drive system~ the other is the drive system itself- It probably is the 2.25 or 2.5 leather belt with the 4 step combination drive system,that can be updated as well. if this lathe is in good condition, in my opinion , it is definitely worth looking into.
    Good luck,
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 04-09-2008 at 7:50 PM.