Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Lathe, Old Iron,

Oliver Lathe, Old Iron,

Hello Folks,

I have the opportunity to acquire a great old piece of woodworking equipment. It is an old Oliver lathe, this thing is huge. I was looking to contact Lou Sansone because Lou seems to know more about these pieces as anyone. I looked in the members list for his name to PM him but the name didn't fit the profile. It says Lou is only a member and not a contributor, I doubt that because of how much he contributes here in the way of knowledge. Are there two Lou Sansones that belong to the Creek? I was looking for the one that lives in Conn.

Anyway, if some one else could shed some light on this I would be grateful. It is a 1953 era machine and on the head casting the words Type "F" are casted in. This machine is at least 12 feet long, maybe 15 feet long. It has a factory duplicator on it and must weigh at least 3000 to 4000 lbs. I like old iron but I'm no expert. I know when I was at Lou's shop once he had one that was similar to this. But this one maybe bigger. And I think Lou's was a Yates and not an Oliver. I could be wrong about that.

thanks for any info
    Ben

Things do not exist with out pictures. I would love to see what it looks like.
    David B

Oliver lathe

David,

It exists in a steel mill that is going thru some changes. It hasn't been run in years but is from what I can tell still intact. It is sort of buried behind a few large shelving stantions. But it will shortly be uncovered within a few days or weeks depending on the clean up schedule. I'll see if I can get a few pictures of it. That maybe a hard thing to do, cameras are not allowed in most manufacturing industries because of giving out trade information. I discovered it setting there, everyone said they had forgot about it. I don't think anyone else has interest in it. I don't know if I do, this thing is big.

Ben

Have you looked through the archives at OWWM? Those guys are the experts.

Forget it Ben. Oliver made some fine machinery but their lathes were not even good as boat anchors. It's trash, forget it.

What was the guy's phone number by the way?

Oliver Lathe

I've got a 167 Oliver -- Eagle Man. has all parts ect. for them --they bought the molds ect. I got a few things from them for mine --nice outfit to do business with also. ITS MADE IN USA
    Last edited by CW McClellan; 02-09-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Hello Folks,

I I looked in the members list for his name to PM him but the name didn't fit the profile. It says Lou is only a member and not a contributor, I doubt that because of how much he contributes here in the way of knowledge. Ben
    Contributor means you donated money at the last membership drive. It has nothing to do with anything but monetary contribution. SO it is probably the same guy.
    Mike Vickery

Well said C.W.
    Bob

Lou Sansone

I looked and said he was 2007 Contributor

Oliver Lathe

Fellows,

I know this lathe is too much for me. But if some one want this thing I'll do my best to acquire it for you and all you have to do is come and get it. I'll have loading arranged and all paper work. Of course I'll expect a small finders fee. But seriously if one of you guys think this is something you want I'll see if it is going to be up for sale.

Ben

Brian Weick

Hi Ben,

Brian Weick has an old Oliver that he restored to immaculate condition. He's an encyclopedia of information on them, and has helped me out more than a few times. You won't find a nicer Oliver enthusiast.

Alex

A man here in Childress has an old Oliver. It's all wrapped up with plastic wrap, and looks like it's in immaculate condition. He's had it for about 15 years, and has never used it. Says he's waiting 'til he retires. I've tried to buy it several times, but he won't budge. His isn't quite as long as the one mentioned in this thread, I think it's about 6 or 7 feet long. He wants to spin some metal with it.
    I'd try OWWM, as Matt suggested. They'll be able to tell you all about it, and may even have a manual for it.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Oliver lathe

Thanks for the help fellows, I'm going to spend some time looking into this lathe just for the heck of it. I've always appreciated these machines but I'm like a lot of guy with restrictions to space and access.

Thanks once again
    Ben

Hi,

I tried looking one up in oldwoodworkingmachines.com but the site keeps coming up as an error. In the past, I've gone to this site for tons of info. on old tablesaws, bandsaws and lathes. Oliver, I think, made many different kinds of lathes and many turners have them. If I'm not mistaken, they were bought up and the Oliver name is currently used in the manufacture of woodworking machinery such as jointers. Their site might also help out.
    Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Ben,
    look up current member Brian Weick, he just recon'd an old oliver and if you look in the "turners and the lathes" or in the turner interview you will see his monsterous lathe.

Bob