Thread: Scraping plane

Scraping plane

Has anyone had the chance to use the LN large scraping plane or a plane equivalent to it. If so, what sort of job do you think it would do on a highly figured, curly maple tabletop. I am using a 4-1/2 smoothing plane with regular frog, blade sharpened and bevel at 35 degrees. Still with a lot of tear out. Any and all suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance.

Kieran

I have the LN scraper's and they all work well. The large one takes a bit of getting use to but once dialed in works well.

Kieran

I have the L-N 112 and pick it up more often than the Stanley #80.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/112.jpg

The L-N 112 has good weight and feels very smooth on a board while raising a lot of shavings.

Lee Valley has a scraping plane for $129 but then you need to add $25 to get the same thickness A2 blade.
    Last edited by Michael Perata; 03-07-2004 at 10:42 PM.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

I have the LN large scraping plane and like it also. I try a variety of planes and scrapers on tops to find the best tool since each wood is different. A card scraper is often the best since you can shorten your strokes. If it is very figured ....sanding is often the only choice since the grain is switching and it will tearout regardless
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I use an HNT Gordon smoother on curly maple. It is bedded very steep, and has a very fine mouth, and thick (1/4") iron. With it I am able to plane curly maple without any tearout. Just a thought. Highland Hdw. has them.
    Alan