Thread: I Have not yet Begun to Fettle

Blog Entries

I Have not yet Begun to Fettle

This is the 4 1/2 from my Vacation Gloatations.
    This is just the minimum clean up before sharpening the blade and putting to use. It is in great shape for something so old. The lever was a little loose, so the rivet was peened a bit. A lot of dirt and some rust were cleaned off.
    My intention is to make it into a good user and not a show piece. Shining up the brass and cleaning the base do make it more enjoyable to use for me.
    This one takes the cake so far as one of my best deals, or at least one of my favorites.
    The pictures show the three patent dates on the lever, two in the adjuster wheel. Forgot to take a picture of the date on the cap iron. If it had the 1892 blade, it would have seven patent dates.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-08-2008 at 7:34 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Oh that's uhh.. junk, send it to me. I'll send you a user #4 in return. A favor, if you will.

In all seriousness, I have the exact same plane, possibly 1 or 2 types later, and it's a dream. Get it going and enjoy it, it's my go-to plane for smoothing.

Envy...

If I take a picture of my bench planes (3,4,4-1/2,5,5-1/2,6,7,8) That one (4-1/2) is the only one which is a Lie Nielsen. All others are nice Stanleys from types 5 thru 14 I believe. I looked around and they were just either expensive or in doubtful shape... not the same to spend $7 on a #4 and have it be a mediocre plane than to spend sometimes over $70 on those with that risk...

So I caved in and went with the Lie Nielsen, which I love. (no I didn't contribute to the infamous "do I want Lie Nielsen thread" until it turned into a beer thread) Mostly because I really like Lie Nielsen but for the most part I get them when the Stanleys are either more expensive (62, 140, 95) or too hard to find in good condition.

Congrats it looks sweet.

If you never used one, the first thing I noticed was how much harder it is to push, (vs #4) mine specially so since it has the high angle frog. But the wider blade does make a diff against a #4. Still a joy to use.

peace

/p

Now that I own a house and am actually finally putting together a workshop, I've been sorting out the planes I've got.
    So far i've got a 4, 4c, 5, 5-1/2, 6, 75, 103, and 120. My dad is sending me a 12-1/2 scraper that needs a blade too.
    I've also got a small pile of craftsman handyman planes of different incarnations, all in excellent condition, one still in its box, but those I think will be heading out to ebaypasture....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    no I didn't contribute to the infamous "do I want Lie Nielsen thread" until it turned into a beer thread/p

Lie Nielsen makes beer?

Gotta get me some of that.

I tend toward Guinness and other strong ales.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Lie Nielsen makes beer?

Gotta get me some of that.

I tend toward Guinness and other strong ales.

Jim
    Eh. I tend to dislike the lingering aftertaste that brass, iron, and steel tend to have.