Thread: Record Lathes?

Cool Record Lathes?

Anyone out there own or know a bit more on Record lathes? I can't seem to find a whole lot on the World Wide Web, so I thought I'd turn to the most knowledgeable people I know!

There's CL3 for sale, kind of locally. The guy want $900/best for it. I called him and says he "thinks" it's a 3/4hp motor and wasn't sure about the thread size for the head. Says it comes with various faceplates, tool rests, stand and even chisels. Only 12" over the bed, though. Said you can swing the head out for up to 30" bowls. (I'd be a bit hesitant on that if it's only got a 3/4hp motor!)

So, any info/feedback on this puppy? It's kind of a lengthy ride to the guy's house, so if I can get a feel for it to even see if it's worth the ride, it'd be great! Muchos gracias!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Anyone out there own or know a bit more on Record lathes? I can't seem to find a whole lot on the World Wide Web, so I thought I'd turn to the most knowledgeable people I know!
    http://www.recordpower-usa.com/lathe.htm is the US web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Grrrrrrrrr.... Now why in the heck couldn't I find that?! Many thanks, Jamie! Got the answers I was looking for. With 450 rpm being the slowest available speed, me thinks I'll keep my $$ in my pocket! Looks to me like the unit is designed more for spindle turning than bowls. Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Is there a pully/speed change lathe that can go lower than 450RPM? I always thought that to go much lower than that you are looking at a DC motor type arrangement. Could be wrong (would not be the first time either, besides I've up all night working so I am a little loopy)

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

John,

If it is the CL3 like on the web site with a tube bed, $900 sounds WAY too high. For $1000 I think I would try and find a used high end lathe, I'm not sure what is available in the $1k new price range.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Weber
    John,

If it is the CL3 like on the web site with a tube bed, $900 sounds WAY too high. For $1000 I think I would try and find a used high end lathe, I'm not sure what is available in the $1k new price range.

John
    John, I couldn't agree with you more! The guy said it probably has no more than 20 hrs. of use, but even so, too much. He supposedly just did a few spindles and such on it and, it's may very well be in good shape, but from what I understand, a brandy-new one is @ $1200.00. I think he's trying to get his money out of the chisels and stuff, too. I don't NEED the chisels! In the end, it's really little more than an upgraded version of what I already have. I'll keep my eye out for something in the used market. No hurry, regardless. Got plenty of other projects to keep me busy for a LONG time!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

With 450 rpm being the slowest available speed, me thinks I'll keep my $$ in my pocket!
    I think you'll find that most of the sub-$1200 lathes are set up similarly and yes, I also believe that they were largely designed for spindle work. In the classes that I taught this weekend, two of the lathes (the club's mini Vicmac and Noah's Jet mini) had similar setups for the lowest speed. ~500 rpm isn't horrible for small 2-5" bowls, but isn't ideal for starting out with larger items or for no-reverse parting off techniques like I was showing...when you want to "catch" the piece in your left hand as you part it off with your right, getting much slower is more comfortable, especially as diameter increases. You also want to be able to slow the machine down to a few hundred RPM when power sanding to reduce heat build up. (reversing capablity is nice for that, too)

At a minimum, consider the VS Jet mini, but better yet, save your pennies for something with true variable speed, like the Jet 1642, PM 3520A, NOVA DVR or similar. By doing that, you'll end up with a machine that is much better suited for larger objects such as bowls and vessels, while not compromising your ability to "turn for furniture", eg, spindle work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim, it's "Stubby or nuthin'!!!" OK, so much for dreamin'. I am actually thinking along the lines of the 1642 or the PM. Another one I noticed, is the Vega 2400. The 1-1/2hp unit is right about in the same price range. Comments on that one?

BTW, gave the Ellsworth PM a spin yesterday. Both, the chisel and sharpening jig work great! The operator still needs a LOT of work, but, that's a "gimme"! And, for more on the turning scene, one of our very own members gave me an invite to join up with a turner's club in Madison! Going to check out their next meeting. Sounds like fun and should be a good learning experience.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Hey Jim, it's "Stubby or nuthin'!!!" OK, so much for dreamin'. I am actually thinking along the lines of the 1642 or the PM. Another one I noticed, is the Vega 2400. The 1-1/2hp unit is right about in the same price range. Comments on that one?
    One of the fellows in my classes this weekend has the Vega bowl lathe and spoke highly of it. He has the 2hp VS and likes it a lot. There aren't many around, however, so getting user comments is a bit harder. You may want to post in the AAW forums to broaden your audience on this on. Honestly, the PM3520A is about the best value on the market given it sells for about $2200 these days from Osolnick and some others, offers 20" swing and is powerful and VS. It's one heavy machine, too. I haven't seen a bad word on one yet. The Jet 1640 was patterned after it, so if you have to go a couple hundred less in cost, it is a very nice 16" swing lathe.
    BTW, gave the Ellsworth PM a spin yesterday. Both, the chisel and sharpening jig work great!
    I also got to play with the PM version this weekend. Very nice...but the flute is slightly different than the original Crown version Ellsworth signature gouge. I can see (and feel) the difference at the very tip. The original is ever so slightly narrower than the Crown PM version. I plan on asking David about it when I get back and have a few minutes.

And, for more on the turning scene, one of our very own members gave me an invite to join up with a turner's club in Madison! Going to check out their next meeting. Sounds like fun and should be a good learning experience.
    Good move for anyone who enjoys turning. The AAW chapters are an awesome way to gain mentors and meet and see some really great and skilled artists. Joining the local chapter is a must and I also recommend joining the AAW proper...the cost of the membership is worth the quarterly magazine alone. Really.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John, a little late now, but I second ...or third on the too high.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I am actually thinking along the lines of the 1642 or the PM.
    I have the Jet 1642 VS and am in love with it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    I have the Jet 1642 VS and am in love with it !!!!
    Ken, you're about the third guy I've talked to with the same sentiments! I drool over it every time I walk into our local Woodcraft!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas