Thread: What pen kits do you use?

What pen kits do you use?

I have only used the click pen and the slimline pen kits from woodcraft. I sold one to a co-worker and it broke. I made her another, and it broke too. It was the click pen that was having the problem. Something about the pen not staying down or the button not working right. I am wondering if the woodcraft pens are just not very good or if it was something I did?

Stefan Antwarg

I get my stuff from Pensofcolor.com

they sell PSI and some craftsupplies and they are very fast and Great customer service.

Stefan
    I have made several from Craft Supplies and they work fine. The types I have used are the Flat top American double twist & the Gentleman's pens. I also made some of the slimline FPP pens from Ken that I think are from Berea and they worked fine also.

Sparky
    Sparky Paessler

Stephan,

I've made a personal decision to avoid click style pens at any cost. Berea makes about the only one that I've had any luck with and even they are spotty. Even the ones that work wear out pretty quickly. The twist styles are much more reliable IMHO.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I've bought pens from woodturningz.com and have had great luck. He gets his pens from the major companies, but sells them at a great price. I just got the cigar pens he advertises on his website and really like the quality.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    I sold one to a co-worker and it broke. I made her another, and it broke too. It was the click pen that was having the problem. Something about the pen not staying down or the button not working right.
    I have tried click pens from several suppliers and quit making them due to the high rate of mechanism failures.
    I am wondering if the woodcraft pens are just not very good or if it was something I did?Stefan Antwarg
    The problems I had with click pens were from different suppliers and not unique to Woodcraft.

There isn't much difference in pen kits between suppliers. I have used most of the styles available and basically buy from the cheapest source. I would suggest you buy from the suppliers who are supporting the FPP.

Berea Hardwoods
    Craft Supplies USA
    Pens-O-Color
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.