Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What nailers would be considered 'essential'?

What nailers would be considered 'essential'?

I'm looking at buying a PC 150 PSI, 6 gal. air compressor and some nailers soon, and I'd like some expert opinions about which nailers a woodworker would consider essential for the majority of work requiring them. Personally, I make small woodcrafts, furniture, and toys. I haven't done much upholstering, and don't see myself getting into that heavy duty, and I don't plan on doing a lot of finish trimming (like casings around doors, windows, etc.) Maybe that will help specify a bit what my needs are, and help identify which guns would best suit the work I do.

So far I only have one gun, a PC BN200A 18 gauge brad nailer, which shoots brads from 3/4" to 2". Thanks.

Jim, since you already have a brad nailer, you might consider a pinner considering the type of work you like to do. Being smaller than an 18 Ga. brad, the tiny holes are easily concealed in toys and such.
    Kev

1/4" narrow crown stapler comes in really handy for thin material. I've used my Porter Cable quite a bit lately.

Bryan

I agree with Kev...a pinner is really great to have. I just upgraded to the Grex 635 for that task and it's a great tool. A 1/4" crown stapler that Bryan mentions can also be handy for cabinet backs if you do that kind of work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the 18ga brad nailer is the cornerstone for a WW shop. I've also found it works great for installing most trim. I had a 15ga finish nailer and really only used it on one remodeling project, and I could have gotten away with 18ga nails on that project if I hadn't had it so I sold it. 23ga pinners are nice, but make sure you get one that drives the pins past flush. The Porter Cable one doesn't by design according to their tech support. I'm happier with the Harbor Freight one I have now than the PC one I used to have. I previously also had a 1/4" crown stapler which also basically only got used for one improvement project so I sold it. I think I might have used it to attach the back on my entertainment center too. But on the project I'm doing for my parents right now I had to staple down underlayment and I need to staple up wainscoating that is basically paneling. I was going to have them pay to rent one for a few days, but then came across a great deal on one at Menards which was only $10 more than renting for 2 days so I just bought one so I don't have to worry about getting it back. I'll keep it this time, but don't expect I'll use it much.

Roofing, flooring, and framing nailers are probably tools the average DIY homeonwner is only going to use on one or two major projects. They can be found for sale used by another DIY homeowner, you can use them, then pass them on to someone else. I bought a recon framing nailer to build out my shop because it was much cheaper to buy one than rent for a couple weeks. Then I was able to turn around and sell it for about 3/4 of what I paid. I'll probably try to do the same when I need a hardwood flooring nailer sometime later this year. They rent for $40/day. Used they can be had for in the $200 range.

Jim, since you mentioned you do build toys, the 1/4" crown stapler mentioned by Bryan and Jim Becker would likely be very handy for you in addition to a pinner. The 1/4" crown is very good for layering multiple layers of thin materials often on toys and decorations. Your last layer can be glued over to cover the last staples.

I've had better luck stapling thinner materials by making sure the staples are perpendicular to the grain - makes for splitting fewer thin-stock (small) pieces. I cracked a few custom name plates until I discovered the ones that split were all stapled with the grain.
    Kev

Senco 18 gauge brad and Senco 18 gauge stapler. Great guns, but to be honest, I rarely use them in the wood shop. They do get used a lot on finish carpenter stuff. I hate filling nail holes though, so plan the joinery on the furniture to avoid nails. Just got a Senco framing gun too, but have only used it to frame a widow.

None! Argh!!

Compressed air and nailers are the tools of carpenters and hacks, not woodworkers.

I feel ill

I think you will find this message board is mostly populated with people you call carpenters and hacks.

Hey Steve; What did you frame that widow for? Did she get convicted?

Having been a builder for many years I have all the nailers and staplers you could ever need. For a woodworking, cabinet shop I agree with Kev and Jim, a high quality pin nailer would be my next purchase. Then, or at the same time, a 1/4" stapler. I have the Cadex-1-3/8" pinner. One other thing, make sure your compressor is a quiet one. It will make the whole experience more enjoyable. Good luck----Al.---Question-does our friend from Down Under use any power tools or vehicles? Just kidding, just kidding.-A.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    None! Argh!!

Compressed air and nailers are the tools of carpenters and hacks, not woodworkers.

I feel ill
    You are absolutely right. All my fine furniture has traditional joinery. However, like most civilized humans, I require living in a structure that will give me comfort and protection. To maintain and improve said structure and not having a limitless supply of money, I am forced to do the work of carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc. etc.....
    Besides, there is nothing wrong with carpentry....is there?
    Gary

The advice has been great. So far I've got it condensed to getting a pinner and 1/4" crown stapler. Now comes the more 'controversial' question: which brand and model in particular?

After doing some reading up here and on Amazon, I'm tentatively considering a Grex 635 pinner and a Senco 18 gauge stapler. I was going to go with PC but those two seem to have better feedback from users.

Any input on this?

Edit: I'm also considering changing my mind about the compressor, and going with the Makita MAC2400 'hot dog' compressor. By what I've read, it's top notch quality, and one of the quietest models of that size available, which I consider important for a shop as small as mine (I've read that the PC pancake compressors are VERY loud, thus the motivation to look at other brands). Anyone familiar with the Makita?
    Last edited by Jim Broestler; 02-10-2008 at 1:28 PM. Reason: adding information

14. Essential? To what? I have never owned one.
    Once I rented one for a roofing job. Sweet for production nailing it sure was. But in the shop. I haven't seen where I'd prefer one. Maybe it's one of those things that you figure out after you get used to it.

The pancakes do make a huge amount of noise. If you have a small shop and are not going to use your compressor for any heavy duty work I would definately advise going with a quieter compressor. I love the Senco stapler, I have never had any problems with it.