Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about an Electrical SubForum?

What do you think about an Electrical SubForum?

There are a lot of posts that come up about electrical topics, wiring workshops, etc.

What do you think about the idea of a separate Electrical Forum for posts that are specific to the topic of wiring, motors, and all stuff electrical?

Rob

I'd be for it, threads fall of into obscurity so often here in this catagory, because of the volume, that it seems like another catagory would help.

3. As I stated in my posting that prompted your question, it isn’t so much that we need a separate forum, as it is we need consistency in how these questions are handled.

It seems as though the philosophy of the forum changes every few months. Even though these questions are directly germane to woodworking and/or woodworking tools, some months the topics are OK for the general forum, and other months, they get relocated to the “off-topic” forum.

These are not off-topic questions, so I disagree with forum administration moving them to the off-topic forum. Either these questions should be left on the General Woodworking and Tools forum, or they should have their own forum. It is the constant waffling back and forth that makes this most confusing.
    Last edited by Rick Christopherson; 02-09-2008 at 11:32 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I think we have too many forums already.
    18 forums not counting the manufacturing forums.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-09-2008 at 11:34 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Rob Will Guest

Good Idea

I think it is a good idea for those hard core electrical only questions. When it comes to things like "what kind of blade kerf can my TS run?", that often leads to issues of horsepower or electrical wiring.

My guess would be if the question has to do with multiple questions (including electrical) about a specific tool.....then we continue to handle that in General Woodworking.

If the question has only to do with the electrical aspects of a particular tool or machine, that would most likely go in the "Electrical" subforum.

If electrical is part of a broader topic such as a "shop tour", it stays in General Woodworking.

If the post has only to do with the electrical aspects of a shop, it goes to Electrical.

I suppose we could try it and see how it goes.(???)
    JMVHO,

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Will; 02-09-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    As I stated in my posting that prompted your question, it isn’t so much that we need a separate forum, as it is we need consistency in how these questions are handled.
    Actually Rick, I've been thinking about this for awhile. There have been a lot posts I've responded to with similar information about wiring codes. Electrical information is somewhat specific and I just feel it could be segregated into its own forum quite effectively.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    There are a lot of posts that come up about electrical topics, wiring workshops, etc.

What do you think about the idea of a separate Electrical Forum for posts that are specific to the topic of wiring, motors, and all stuff electrical?

Rob
    I think it would be dangerous. Electrical questions should not be answered by woodworkers. If you need electrical advise you need to be certain it is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Actually Rick, I've been thinking about this for awhile. There have been a lot posts I've responded to with similar information about wiring codes. Electrical information is somewhat specific and I just feel it could be segregated into its own forum quite effectively.
    While you have offered many useful electrical suggestions some of them have not been correct. A woodworkers form is not the place for electrical questions. Talk to your local inspector if you have electrical questions.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Davis View Post
    I think it would be dangerous. Electrical questions should not be answered by woodworkers. If you need electrical advise you need to be certain it is correct.
    There are several electricians and electrical engineers around here. If you don't believe it, just say someting that one of them does not agree with.

Rob

10. Yes, I fully agree that there are many discussions that rightfully belong in a specific electrical subforum. What I strongly oppose is when someone asks a question about how to connect a specific tool to a power supply, and then that topic gets relocated to the off-topic forum.

There are a lot of people that learn from discussions such as this example, but if they get segued to a separate forum, the information gets lost.

As another poster stated, there are too many forums already. However, given the choice between having the forum administration moving these questions to the off-topic forum versus having their own forum, then I would vote for their own forum.

Personally, I would like to see this practice of relocating threads curtailed a little bit. Unless it is an obvious infraction, threads in the general discussion forum should remain in the general discussion forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    There are several electricians and electrical engineers around here. If you don't believe it, just say someting that one of them does not agree with.

Rob
    No offense to Rob Russel but he could be mistaken for an electrician by someone who does not know any better. He is clearly interested in electricity and pretty knowledgable but it is also clear to me that he is not an electrician. How would electrical advise be verifiable in a forum like this?
    Last edited by Randall Davis; 02-10-2008 at 1:06 AM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Randall Davis View Post
    While you have offered many useful electrical suggestions some of them have not been correct. A woodworkers form is not the place for electrical questions. Talk to your local inspector if you have electrical questions.
    Oh my young skywalker , trust me, if Rob or anyone else on the forum states something that is not correct, it is very quickly turned into a learning experience for everyone. I am an electrical engineer with quite a bit of knowledge of code, and even I have been taken to task quite vigorously if I mis-state information.

There are enough electrical experts on this forum that misinformation does not last very long. If there was a specific forum for electrical questions, this correction-time would be even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Davis View Post
    No offense to Rob but he could be mistaken for an electrician by someone who does not know any better. He is clearly interested in electricity and pretty knowledgable but it is also clear to me that he is not an electrician. How would electrical advise be verifiable in a form like this?

How is any information you get on the internet verifiable?

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's the reality of picking up information on the internet. A lot of "urban legends"...misinformation...rumors and plain old fashioned lies on the internet and they are spread as the gospel truth.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

For it if it were to remain open to all members.

Against it if it's a contributor-only thing.

My position may seem to stem from obvious reasons, i suppose, being a non-contributor.

I really love the vast knowlege that you electrical guys put out there. It's really something that I think everyone deserves to see, IMHO. Do the regular electrical gurus that post here also post on that other Electrical-only forum (i forget the name)?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    How is any information you get on the internet verifiable?

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's the reality of picking up information on the internet. A lot of "urban legends"...misinformation...rumors and plain old fashioned lies on the internet and they are spread as the gospel truth.

My point exactly! Bad advise on how to make a mortise and tenon joint or other woodworking tips probably does not have the same potential for bodily harm (or worse) that bad electrical advise does..
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-10-2008 at 9:21 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging