Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about an Electrical SubForum?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Hey Randall, some woodworkers happen to be experts in this field too.
    Yes sir! some woodworkers are dentist also but I will not be getting advise on how to do my own dental work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    I've posted several electrical questions on woodworking websites and have received several different (and sometimes incorrect) answers. Last year, when I built a workshop, I posted all my electrical questions on an "electrical website" which is staffed by licensed electricians. I received some great advice and think electrical questions should be directed to that type of website, not a woodworking website.
    Bingo! try to substantiate!

As I mentioned, there are many hobbies more dangerous than electrical work that are discussed on the internet, and the idea that asking for advice on the topic is somehow bad is malarky. Asking for advice is almost always good, just as giving it is. There is no magic to electricity that requires someone to be licensed in the field to do it (not that it isn't good to consult a professional as usual when doing dangerous work).

If we weren't the do it yourself type of crowd, I doubt we'd be woodworking.

I like the idea of a shop outfitting forum better than an electrical one - it fits the site better.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    As I mentioned, there are many hobbies more dangerous than electrical work that are discussed on the internet, and the idea that asking for advice on the topic is somehow bad is malarky. Asking for advice is almost always good, just as giving it is. There is no magic to electricity that requires someone to be licensed in the field to do it (not that it isn't good to consult a professional as usual when doing dangerous work).

If we weren't the do it yourself type of crowd, I doubt we'd be woodworking.

I like the idea of a shop outfitting forum better than an electrical one - it fits the site better.
    You clearly have little knowlage of electricity and its potential. Google electrocution and get back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Davis View Post
    You clearly have little knowlage of electricity and its potential. Google electrocution and get back to us.
    Randall,

Everyone is aware electricity can be dangerous. That doesn't mean someone can't seek and receive advice on simple electrical questions on a woodworking forum. After all, it's not rocket science!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Randall,

Everyone is aware electricity can be dangerous. That doesn't mean someone can't seek and receive advice on simple electrical questions on a woodworking forum. After all, it's not rocket science!

Greg
    but setting up an seperate forum here, doesnt make sense in my opinion.

the questions ultimately get answered, and there is a search function. seperate forums dont help the issue, IMHO ..

Jason Beam,
    I spend a lot of time on Mike Holt's Forum. A lot of the information goes over my head, especially when they discuss heavy industrial wiring but there is a lot of information that applies to general code work.
    I agree with you that getting information from his forum that is aimed at woodworking equipment wiring practices would be difficult. I have not had much luck getting information out of local licensed electricians.
    David B

I don't spend a lot of time on the Turner's forum, but one issue that comes up often in that forum is how to convert a lathe to a 3 phase motor driven by a VFD.

Should questions about that continue to be posted to the turner's forum or should they be posted to the electrical forum (if we decide to have one)?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Jason Beam,
    I spend a lot of time on Mike Holt's Forum. A lot of the information goes over my head, especially when they discuss heavy industrial wiring but there is a lot of information that applies to general code work.
    I agree with you that getting information from his forum that is aimed at woodworking equipment wiring practices would be difficult. I have not had much luck getting information out of local licensed electricians.

David, thank you for articulating what i was trying to earlier. I realize the information is there, but it's pretty intimidating to seek it there. It's much easier for me to poke some fellow woodworkers to solve a woodworking problem. And it IS a woodworking problem.

Telling me that asking how I should wire my shop is not woodworking related is like telling me I shouldn't bother to ask about glues since there are adhesive-based forums and those would be the most appropriate places for glue questions.

I also think that a place that will help me with other similar questions like what kind of lighting should I use? Where should a jointer be in relation to my planer or the garage door. I think all of those things are shop questions and would serve a great purpose being organized together since many times all of those things are going on at the same time in a lot of cases.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Greg Funk makes a good point up above. I like the idea of a separate forum.... not sure it would actually improve anything, and some potential for reducing visibility/answers on such threads.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

However you want to handle electrical questions on this forum, they should all START in the OT forum, Folks!!

Perhaps it could be a branch in OT to have a "Shop/Tool Wiring" Forum WITH THE CLEAR UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN THAT FORUM AND THAT NO ONE POSTING IN THERE IS A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    However you want to handle electrical questions on this forum, they should all START in the OT forum, Folks!!
    I guess it's not clear why electrial questions should start in OT. If someone has a question about wiring their unisaw is that not appropriate for discussion in the power tools section?

Greg

I'm an electrical engineer like Rick. I would be supportive of the idea. The caviat is that while I can give solid electrical advice on motors, components, etc., I may not be able to give good CODE advice nor would I even try. Two major different arenas and the electrical inspector (and/or experienced electricians that know what the inspector wants on top of Code) in your community is the final word. What works in Massachusetts may not be allowed in another state. And knowing the Code is like learning a tax manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    I guess it's not clear why electrial questions should start in OT. If someone has a question about wiring their unisaw is that not appropriate for discussion in the power tools section?

Greg
    That would be fine but we get plenty of electrical SHOP wiring questions...I feel they don't belong in the already over-burdened GW/PT forum. Often the simple "how do I wire my TS?" snowballs into a couple pages of OT electrical input....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Davis View Post
    I've done some work on tube amplifiers. Even built one. Every forum, thread and/or book I've read on tube amp circuits provides the disclaimer that these circuits can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. Was I wrong to service or build my amps because I lacked a degree or certification in electronics?

Every power tool in the shop presents an excellent opportunity to injure ones self. Should we require certification to operate a table saw? Might save hundreds of digits a year.

I see little value in engineering a forum to the lowest common denominator. If that were the case, SMC would have to seriously reconsider many of the forums that involve dangerously powerful tools.

If a local community allows homeowners to do their own wiring, I see little concern in providing an answer to an intelligent question. Some questions I have seen definitely indicated that the person had little or no understanding of the subject. But I have seen many more articulate questions posted where the person was concerned about the code and general best practices. For the homeowner trying to get their shop to pass inspection (certainly a provencial endeavor), SMC is a benefit.