Thread: Jet (JWL 1014) mini lathe

Question Jet (JWL 1014) mini lathe

Hi,
    Just getting started, Does anyone know anything about hte Jet "JWL 1014" Mini lathe? It has good weight for a small bench top, Would it be ok for a new guy?
    many thank
    Brock

Brock, thats a very nice lathe--solid feel and nice adjustments. My wife, Katherine has one and uses it to turn pens and small bowls. The only draw-back is its size--you can't turn a very large blank on it. Even with the bed extension I think it only has a 28" capacity. I built a cabinet for it and Katherine weighted it down with "her" tools so it is rock solid.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Jones
    Hi,
    Just getting started, Does anyone know anything about hte Jet "JWL 1014" Mini lathe? It has good weight for a small bench top, Would it be ok for a new guy?
    many thank
    Brock
    Another vote yes and don't let the bed extension issue give a second thought.. you can easily home engineer a bit more space by mounting the bed extension seperate from the lathe and get all the length you need .. it's not hard at all. The non-vs model for 199$ is a steal and the VS can be had for 274.99 delivered from Amazon if you use the 25$ off coupon and free shipping...
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

I just purchased this unit for my son a week ago, it is one sweat machine. Seems to be very well made, no vibration and a good price....

Although I had a large lath for 5 years I don't consider myself a turner, I've used this little unit a few times and am really impressed with it.

Andy

Hey Michael, thats a good idea. I wanted to make a couple of porch rockers and was trying to figure out how to turn the rail for the back.
    I figured I'd need about 42" between centers. Thanks!
    Dennis

I bought the non vs model from Amazon for $199 minus the $25 discount and free shipping. Great deal.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and am having lots of fun with it. Well built little machine and smooth running.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Jones
    Hi,
    many thank
    Brock
    The Jet mini is a great starter lathe. I bought mine several years ago even though I already had a larger lathe. I have turned somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 to 2000 pens on it since, along with other stuff including small bowls. It is still going strong - never had a problem with it.

If it disintegrated tomorrow I would run right to General Industrial Supply and buy another one - except I would get the VS version.

I hadn't turned on a Jet mini until this weekend when Noah brought his over for he and Tom to use during the classes I was teaching. It's a very heavy machine for the size. I was quite impressed. It's smooth and quiet, too. I also would recommend the VS version for a lot of reasons, both functional and for better safey on some operations. Sometimes just a few RPM can make a big difference when it comes to vibration, etc., too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had mine for a little over a month. I absolutely love it. I went from a big lathe to it for the time being and it was a worth while investment. I have the VS model and I would highly recommend it. Like Jim said, a few RPM's one way or the other can really make a difference when a piece starts to vibrate on you. Good luck in your decision.

Many thanks to all. You helped me make up my mind, think I will go with the vs.
    Thanks again to all.
    Brock